Black Diamond gantry upgrade

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

kenypete

Re: Black Diamond gantry upgrade

Post by kenypete »

Rod
I went to Home Depot and bought a couple of peel and stick cable clamps to re-attach the cables.

I see you have a attached dust collection, something I avoided, not wanting to add to the weight on the plastic gantry back but would like to try it now. Is yours from NWA? And is it something you recommend or would you do something different?

Ken

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

Hello Ken,

Sorry for the delay I was offline for most of the day. There are several posts on the forum discussing Dust Boot options. I bought the stock HD Dust Boot kit and upgraded it. I actually added a little bit of weight to it. I experienced some issues with the magnets not holding the dust boot and it wasn't any fun. This was even before the "upgrade". So as part of the upgrade I added a manual locking bolts to make sure that never happened again. You can review my posts using this link http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4066 I don't think there is enough weight added here to affect the gantry. Especially after upgrading to the Aluminum plate.

If you have additional questions just write a reply post from the Dust Boot Modification topic.

Have a great day!
... Rod

fison

Post by fison »

Just received my aluminium gantry back upgrade today. Took me about 20 minutes to install it by my self. I have an HD Extended and not a Black Diamond so I'm guessing they're making it available for most of the recent models. Also note that I've added an aluminium angle bracket and cable chain which is not standard but didn't have to modify anything since everything's the same as the HDPE except a minor change in thickness.
HD Extended with aluminium gantry back upgrade from rear.
HD Extended with aluminium gantry back upgrade from rear.
HD Extended with aluminium gantry back upgrade from front.
HD Extended with aluminium gantry back upgrade from front.
Paul Fison
Tacoma, Washington, USA
(253) 925-0855

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

Paul,

Nice upgrade and nice machine! The cable chain is a nice touch too.

As you noted the upgrade plate fits the HD too. As I understand the Black diamond is really a dressed up HD. It just happened to be available as a promotional deal at the time of my purchase.

I have been running my machine with the upgrade for about a week now and I'm seeing improvements. Besides the accuracy, I'm observing better stability, less chatter and vibration. I think I can probably run at higher feed rates as a result of the upgrade. I don't have any hard evidence for this. I frequently vary the materials I'm cutting. I listen when I start a job and sometimes adjust the feed and spindle speed based my observations. I find the slider added to the controller software handy for adjusting feed rates on the fly.

From your picture of the front view it looks like you are using the stock NWA router mount with a Dewalt 618. When I first started running my machine I experienced issues with the router slipping in the mount. I made several attempts modifying the OEM and still had issues. I replaced the mount with the billet aluminum one available from business@dixiebillet.com. I fully documented this in a post entered about a year ago. I should mention that I replaced the four mount bolts with flat head bolts with this upgrade. This allows the router flange to set square to the face of the aluminum mount. I also placed a shim under the front of the mount to true up the machine. If interested, you may review the string of posts at the link provided below.

http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3619

Have a great day!

..... Rod

fison

Post by fison »

Thanks Rod,

I just sent Sam an email.
Paul Fison
Tacoma, Washington, USA
(253) 925-0855

LeeWills

Post by LeeWills »

I have been reading this thread with interest.
Why do you want to pay all that money for a pretty plate with laser engraving, when you can go to the metal merchant, ask them to cut a checker plate to size, drill 4 holes yourself and attach it to the machine.
I bought 4 ridges.
All at less than 1/4 of the cost of the pretty plate but checkerplate goes with the new sides of the router cradle and looks good as well as being less prone to scratches.
Regards
Lee
If you can't blind someone with science, Confound then with B***S***

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

LeeWills wrote:Why do you want to pay all that money for a pretty plate with laser engraving,
I didn't pay for any laser engraving. It is a sticker. I paid for the simplicity of getting a box that had a finished part in it that I could simply bolt on with no other work required. With the new back plate the our HD 2.0 suddenly is back doing reliable work.

There are 11 holes if I remember right, and if they aren't in exactly the right spots you'll have wasted your money on the less expensive diamond plate. Earlier Sharks that don't have their guide rails bolted to the back will not benefit from this upgrade.

NewAgent45

Post by NewAgent45 »

I agree with 4Dthinker. No laser engraving on mine either. There is no local supplier even close here. You are right I could have bought the material and easily drilled the hole but still would have waited for material delivery. My time is worth more per hour than the reasonable price. Hite the replacement plate is not diamond plate. Also as far as I know all the Black Diamond Edition machines have the guide bolted to the plate. The upgrade does improve the machine accuracy.
… Rod

Crosetti

Post by Crosetti »

Ordered mine today!!!
Black Diamond Shark HD
Vetric Aspire 9.5 / Shark Control Panel 2.1
http://www.tacer.biz/

Crosetti

Post by Crosetti »

Installed the new gantry back & it cured my problems! Awesome upgrade @ an affordable price. Also added sams clamp, so the weak clamp/slippage worry is gone.
Thanks for the info about these!
Black Diamond Shark HD
Vetric Aspire 9.5 / Shark Control Panel 2.1
http://www.tacer.biz/