Setup Help Needed

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

lparker

Re: Setup Help Needed

Post by lparker »

I have been dealing with the Failure to Connect...1 issue for the past 4 days. I just purchased the Shark HD4 and can get it to make tool paths but the laser than came with it will not fire unless I press test fire on the HMI and that wont help me etch anything. I have tried everything mentioned in this forum so far other than a friends computer, no friends are near me with a computer. I purchased a powered USB hub to ensure that it was not the Windows 10 low power usb port issue and tried every port on the machine. The computer is a brand new computer so I don't think there is an issue with it.

Bottom line the laser will not fire will the machine is following the tool path. I don't know what else I can do. Please help! This has been the most frustrating setup I think I have ever dealt with.

Leemag

Post by Leemag »

Can't help with the laser, but I got one of the first HD4 Sharks in October. The software that came with it was version 2.1 of the control panel. It absolutely would not work with the computers I tried. One was a relatively old HP with Win 7, the other was a brand new Intel computer with Win 8.1. I contacted NWA and learned that they included the wrong CD with the machine, and gave me a link for version 3.0 software. I was able to load that and make it work (after a fashion) on the newer computer. Still have trouble connecting USB. The key seems to be turning on the controller and then run the shark s/w.

Bigger problem for me is that I can not run a tap file from the computer. I can load a file, start it, and it always stops after about 100 steps. The connection to the controller is lost, and the control panel s/w locks up. I have to do a CTRL/ALT/DEL, go to the Windows taskmaster, and delete the Shark control panel task. Then I have to start everything over again.

I've also tried everything that has been suggested on the forum - turning off everything that might stop operation - screen saver, etc., disconnecting LAN, etc. Thought it might be the USB cable also, so bought a shielded USB cable with inline ferrite cores. No help. Also ran a ground wire from the computer to the controller. If it is due to EM noise, I note that it has to be the stepper motors; I have the problem regardless of whether the router runs or not.

My only recourse at this point ( I have a job to engrave 4 plaques by next Friday) is to use the LCD thing. I can operate it ok with that, so it is not something wrong with the controller.

I know this isn't much help to you, other than commiseration.

balbritton

Post by balbritton »

lparker,

Are you using the Laser Post Processor? If your test fire is working, it sounds like a post processor issue to me. Let me know if you don't have the shark laser PP and I can send it to you.

Leemag,

We've been having issues with the 3.0 software since Windows 10 released. As of right now, using the LCD is the most efficient way to run the machine, as it avoids all things windows. If you could, email me at balbritton@nextwaveautomation.com any time you have an issue with the 3.0 so I can hand it over to our programmer!
Brandon Albritton
Sales/Engineering - Next Wave Automation

lparker

Post by lparker »

I had tried all of the post processors for both pirana and shark. the issue was with the firmware in the controller. apparently they set the machine up with HD2 or 3 firmware.

So now that the laser could run i still could not get the controller to connect to the computer and the more intricate jobs will crash out and fail to transmit any code after about 10% of the job. Before you ask the job is super small and should be no problem for the memory. So after a week of waiting the new controller they promised me arrived and finally I can connect to the control box with the PC but guess what???? The job crashing is still a major problem. I talked with their tech support on Friday and he said the issues is probably with the LCD firmware. He would send me the new firmware but sure enough he forgot and I have another wasted weekend right in the middle of the holidays during the busiest time of the year.

Does anyone have the updated firmware they released in the last week and a half?