Setup Help Needed

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Barry Anderson

Setup Help Needed

Post by Barry Anderson »

I am a newbie. I picked up my Shark on Tuesday. Have loaded the Vectric Software with no problems. Have spent the better part of today (Friday) trying to get the controller software loaded to no avail. I have installed and uninstalled it numerous times. Once, the "main" page came up where you can jog the spindle but the "keys" were not bold and did not work. I had a friend assisting that has the same system with a router instead of a spindle. We hooked his laptop up to my control box and it worked. This tells me it is a failure to communicate between my computer and the control box. I thought I might be having a problem with the USB port. Computer technician said 2 of my ports were not working, but the one I was using is. With the need for a battery, etc. I decided to buy a new computer. Have tried loading from the disc. Have printed the control panel manual(86 pages), and followed the directions. I am not computer illiterate, but I am lost. The last time I installed it a screen came up that said: NC POD Firmware Update 2083 Click her to Install. When I clicked I got a message that said failed to connect. I'm tired. Would appreciate any help and/or advice. Thank you in advance.

Barry Anderson
Barry Anderson
Anderson Custom Woodwork, Inc.

4DThinker

Re: Setup Help Needed

Post by 4DThinker »

There is a driver you'll need to install so the control software will see the USB port your Shark control is plugged into as a com port. You can download it for free here: http://register.nextwaveautomation.com/

You want the vcredist x86.exe file. That registration page is very outdated, but installing this file is still needed even on modern systems. Install it. Reboot. Try your controller again.

Barry Anderson

Post by Barry Anderson »

Thanks for your reply. That file is installed on my computer. When I checked the files, it is listed 7 times with dates of 2005, 2008 three times, 2010 twice, and 2012 once. All with install dates of 10-19-2014, (which I assume is the date the computer was manufactured), except two, with an install date of yesterday when I hit the button to install. When loading the software, I get a prompt to connect the controller to the laptop. When I do, and hit OK, nothing happens. I agree that apparently the controller is not being recognized by the computer, or the controller is not recognizing the computer, but do not know how to correct it. I really wanted to make some sawdust.
Barry Anderson

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Try a different usb port on the computer. Or try a different usb cable. I had to put the cable in a different usb port and it worked.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

Barry Anderson

Post by Barry Anderson »

I will try that. Not sure but think we tried all three. The cable worked with no problem when using a friends computer. Thank you.

Barry Anderson
Barry Anderson

Barry Anderson

Post by Barry Anderson »

Tony:

Thanks for your suggestion. I did try a different port and got it working...some. When I bring up the Shark Control Panel, and attempt to jog the spindle, I am able, but if I try to change the speed, then the control 'buttons" go from black to gray and I am unable to move it. If I go out of the program, and bring it back up, I have to turn on and connect the controller each time. While the program is loaded, I will get an error message telling me the USB device is not recognized. I am tempted to see if I can find another cable but the cable worked fine when using a friends computer.
Barry Anderson

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Check the power saving settings and screen saver settings of your new computer. Turn them all off. Many new PCs come with USB ports that power down to save power.

Barry Anderson

Post by Barry Anderson »

Good suggestion. I will check that in just a little while when I get home. Thank you.

Barry Anderson
Barry Anderson

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Turn off virus protection also, just run the program only no internet connection. Make sure everything is registered.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

Barry Anderson

Post by Barry Anderson »

I have gotten the software loaded and the machine is running. Now to experiment with the software some to get a couple of projects completed.
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Barry Anderson
Barry Anderson