Reverse X & Y connectors...

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

PCB

Reverse X & Y connectors...

Post by PCB »

I've been a Shark user for several years now (very pleased with the machine) but have been wondering if it is possible to reverse the plugs for the X & Y axis. Would prefer that the orientation match the VCarve software. At present, I rotate everything in VCarve 90 degrees to match the machine. Would prefer a response from someone that has actually done this for two reasons. 1.) Will it damage anything,...and 2.) What happens to the [X positive, X negative], [Y positive, Y negative] orientation on the table.
Thanks in advance.

Jim N

Re: Reverse X & Y connectors...

Post by Jim N »

That's the way I run mine- makes more sense to me.
You will need to flip the gantry 180° or you will get a
mirror image.
Jim

PCB

Post by PCB »

Jim
Thanks for the reply. Did reversing the connectors mirror JUST the Y axis,...or the Y,... AND the X axis?
Paul

Jim N

Post by Jim N »

Paul-
By switching the connectors to the stepper motors: X to Y and Y to X, the shark will carve -let's say a sign-
along the long side of the bed, which to me works out better. It also makes jogging FOR ME easier
because the work on the shark bed is in the same direction as the jog scheme on the panel.
BUT you need to take the bolts out that hold the gantry, turn the gantry 180° and rebolt or you will
get a mirror image af your work, according to an old post I saw in the Vectric forum. I have not tried
NOT flipping the Gantry, but what the heck maybe some work calls for mirrored letters, etc.
I have also switched X, Y, Z connectors to trouble stepper motors.
I have run this way for 2 years now with no trouble. Hope this helps.
Jim

PCB

Post by PCB »

Thanks Jim. Since swapping the connectors does no damage to the machine,...best thing to do would be to swap them and see what the outcome is. My way of thinking was that if BOTH the X & Y mirrored,...I would just physically turn the whole machine around so I would be facing it from the other side. That wouldn't work if just one of the axis was mirrored. Thanks again for your response. Much appreciated!!
Paul

klm_777

Post by klm_777 »

Great post and info.

I received my Shark a few days ago and after spending several hours checking all connections, lubricating rails/screw-rods, uninstalling/reinstalling all software, I finally figured out that the cheap junk SD card that came with it was at fault. (another peeve is that this Shark came with about the worst "instruction manual" I've ever seen... they should hire a technical writer to put together a real user manual)

The machine would work properly about 10% of the time while acting erratically most of the time. After resolving that SD card issue, I just tried this X and Y axis reversal and it works like a charm! The orientation of the routed results actually matches what was shown in vCarve.

Now I can stop swearing at it and start enjoying it!

Thank you

Jim N

Post by Jim N »

Glad it helped you ;)
Happy carving!!
Jim

nlartist

Post by nlartist »

I reversed the X and Y connectors, rotated the gantry 180 degrees and the table now works well for sign carving.

vnichols

Post by vnichols »

After reading some of these messages I don't feel like I need to run out and get one of these machines. Sorry maybe in a few years after they get all the bugs out..

SimRacn

Post by SimRacn »

So if i understand switching them correctly... right now with the y axis in front of you, Y is + on long tall axis away from you, and X is + to the right if X0/Y0 is at the lower left corner.

standing in the same location, If you switch the axises, X0and Y0 would be at the bottom right corner with X+ being the long axis away from you, and Y+ along the short axis to the left. Sound right? was just thinking it would be nice to have the axises in a better orientation :-)

Well, decided to do it, and it answered my own question. puts the x/y coords in the 'correct' orientation. much more better :-)
Thanks for the tip!!
It is my belief that the only dumb question is the one not asked :-)