Roto-Zip Bits for Gears?

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

JerryBurks

Roto-Zip Bits for Gears?

Post by JerryBurks »

I am planning to cut gears from 3/8" plywood or ABS plastic sheet. I designed the tooth shape so that I can use an 1/8" bit.

I am new to CNC and just got a pro plus so I am still finding my way around. I was going to order suitable carbide bits but to get going I tried a simple RotoZip spiral saw bit (the "Sabre-Cut" down-cut variety for about $1.20 in bulk).
That worked actually pretty well at moderate speed (1/8" cut depth and 30"/min) and they have a pretty long reach.

They sure won't last as long but is there any reason to spend more for a carbide bit and worry much more about breaking?

Thanks, JB

Bruce

Re: Roto-Zip Bits for Gears?

Post by Bruce »

JB,
What kind of gears are you cutting? I am using a pin router with a solid carbide 1/8" up-cut bit and cutting clock gears from 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4in Baltic Birch plywood. How do you load your gear pattern into your shark?
When cutting the 1 1/16 and 1 1/8" pinion gears, my fingers get real close to the cutters. Can you just scan a copy of your gear into your shark and press go? Any suggestion you or any one else can offer will be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Bruce

JerryBurks

Re: Roto-Zip Bits for Gears?

Post by JerryBurks »

Hello Bruce, in the meantime I got proper 1/8" carbide bits (from Centurion Tools) and they cut much better than the RotoZip. These are just too long and flex a lot. Obviously they don't last very long, either.
I will save the pack for the case that I need to reach down 2" at very low feed rate.

I designed the gears in a 3D CAD program with the goal of cutting them complete with 1/8" bits, i.e no tight inner corners. The tooth pattern is surely unconventional (not cycloid or involute) and not optimal from a mechanical perspective but meshes smoothly and is strong.
I exported the gear shape in Autocad .dwg 2D format (I belive .pdf would work as well) and loaded that into VCarve. Since it consists of a zillion open vectors you must use the Vcarve function to join them to closed traces but the whole transfer does not take more than a few minutes.