SETUP

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

edokus

SETUP

Post by edokus »

Hi all.
Just bought the Shark and setting it up. The machine jogs ok so I guess communication between the Shark and computer is ok.
I have two problems so far.

1) Firmware update. Clicking on the update screen, I get a "Failure to connect...1"message.

2) The Load G code, Run from SD card, Pause , and Continue screens are grey and non-functional.

Thanks for any help or effort.

Ed Dokus

gordon1s

Re: SETUP

Post by gordon1s »

Ed .make sure you are using the correct post processor when you create your tap files. You should be using the CNC_Shark_Arch_USB_IN one.....

edokus

Post by edokus »

Thanks for the reply.
Things have gone to hell in a handbasket since my last post. I no longer have any communication between computer and Shark. When loading the control program I get an error message "can't find Winusb DLL".

I've spent the last two days trying to find the reason for the error but have had no success. I'm very disappointed with the lack of support from the manufacturer, no reply to my phone call outlining the problem.

I've downloaded the two programs specified in the Instruction Manual on another computer but gat the same Winusb error message when I try to run the files. No doubt one or both of them are corrupted.

I'm just about at my wit's end and will probably have to return the machine.

I've never gotten to the point where I would require post processing, but would appreciate it if you could give me more info on the file or files you mentioned.

Thanks for the effort.

Ed Dokus

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Ed,

I'm sorry that you're in such a state. I assume that you got the Next Wave support number from Rockler, and that there has been no response from that.

I have a few questions for you before I start babbling off things that may or may not work -

What operating system are you using (Win 7, Vista, XP)?

Did you download from the Next Wave Automation site and use: vcredist_x86.exe, CNCSharkBasicPanel-1.4.0.17, and Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5?

If running Win 7, did you install all of this "stuff" as an administrator (right click on the app and select run as administrator)?

Hopefuly some good ideas that have worked for other folks will arise based on your answers.

gordon1s

Post by gordon1s »

Ed for the .dll missing please follow try this.
• Win .dll missing error
• You can download winusb.dll from the following link and save it to C:\Windows\System 32
http://dllcentral.com/winusb.dll/6.0.6000.16386/
• Make sure you click the "DOWNLOAD DLL" button and not the "DOWNLOAD HERE!" button.
• It’s the small box button not the large link button. Its at the very bottom of the page.
• The second button is for downloading a repair suite which you probably don't need
• Some (but not really many) .DLL files need to be manually "registered". To register a dll file, follow these steps:
o Click on Start and then click on Run.
o Type in the Run field the command: regsvr32 "FileName.dll"
o Press Enter. ("filename.dll" represents the name of the specific dll)

Jim

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

While this is one of the steps I've seen, this dll is supposed to be installed by the shark stuff. So, not having it installed might indicate other possible problems. The other thing seen in this instance on a Win7 box is that the dll is in fact on the disk, but the OS is not using it/recognizing it. There are some things to try if in Win7 environment to overcome this as well.

Of course, following these steps could cure everything (except the common cold) and certainly can't hurt to try/do. If it doesn't curre it, there are other things to try - but only with a little more information known so the best choices can be presented.

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

I have never seen a Winusb.dll issue on anything other then a XP box. Generally when is happens the Xp software is very old. If this is happening on a windows 7 I have a couple of questions. Is this a netbox or somethink like this? This might mean that all the normal windows software is not there. Also is this loaded on a Mac that you are using windows 7 on. This are hardware issues trying to connect to some macs though differnt boots.

Thanks

Tim

edokus

Post by edokus »

Thanx everyone for your thoughtful and informative replies to my original post.

I did get a voice message from the manufacturer yesterday asking me to call today to review the problem. I called this morning and received a patient and determined effort to resolve the problem that lasted several hours. Although I had downloaded the winusb.dll file and installed it, the problem persisted. The computer used for the Shark had five usb ports of different drivers apparently. Tim, the company troubleshooter, determined that the usb driver used to communicate with the Shark was probably the not a usb2 driver. After switching to another usb port, the problem was miraculously cured.

I apologize for the disappointment I originally expressed and hereby express my gratitude for their dogged determination to resolve my problem. Great job Tim.

In retrospect, I probably caused the problem. I bought a used computer to run the Shark and subsequently used one of the cleanup programs to de-louse it. This probably destroyed the original drivers and left me with a machine that originally worked but now wouldn't run the Shark or connect to the internet.

All is well now . I downloaded and installed the integrated internet driver and everything is working nicely.

I hope this helps some future poor soul that finds himself in the same predicament.

Ed Dokus

djbeam

Post by djbeam »

To get this working .. I went to your site and redownloaded the two pieces of software that is suggested for XP.

I uninstalled the panel software, did a registry clean and then a reboot.

We then installed the .dll first .. and then the panel software. The install seemed to go okay .. no error messages or problems where identified …

When I go to run the software these are the messages I get back and the software will not execute …

(see Image#1 in the attached file)

Then this one .. which is the same as the above …

(see Image#2 in the attached file)

Then this one ..

(see Image#3 in the attached file)

Then it goes to end-of-job.

What am I doing wrong .. ?

Don
Attachments
Three images of messages during "run"
Three images of messages during "run"

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Don,

From your description, it sounds like you chose to manually copy the Winusb.dll onto your machine and then install the Shark panel. It's not clear if you installed vcredist_x86.exe first. My guess is that you have not installed this.

If you think you did all the "right steps" and had the error "Missing Winsub.dll" - the solution appears to be:

1. Go the the manufacturer's website for your computer. Download and install the latest hardware drivers for your computer. You may also want to review the BIOS versions as there may have been an enhancement that is specific to your machine's USB capability. Windows update is not the same thing.

2. One or more of your usb ports may not be USB 2.0 capable. Find/use the USB 2.0 capable port(s) only with the Shark.

A post that describes in a little more detail installation and first steps is - http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=260.

The only other guess on this is that the specific download you did of the software is corrupted. If you are confident that you have installed the latest hardware drivers for your computer, that you installed vcredist_x86.exe first (before the Shark Panel), that you in fact are plugging into a USB 2.0 capable port, and you are not using the copied Winsub.dll - I would uninstall the shark panel, download it again from the NextWaveAutomation site, and try again.