Shark Cart

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Lucas

Shark Cart

Post by Lucas »

Hi All,
First post here. Just got a Shark Pro Plus in. I'm about to try to get up to speed on the software. I'll probably have to lean on your expertise for that.
In the meantime, I slapped together a basic scrapwood cart to set it on. I've still got to figure out a little better cable management, though.
Scrapwood stand for the Shark
Scrapwood stand for the Shark
Lucas Peters

PeteD

Re: Shark Cart

Post by PeteD »

Cart looks good but I would put in a shelf to get the control box up higher as it is going to see a lot of sawdust down there unless you have a good dust collection system. Pete

Lucas

Post by Lucas »

@PeteD,
I was hoping to find some brackets for it. The box is about 3-1/2" thick which puts it in dimensional lumber range. I thought there might be some simpson brackets or something that I could hang off the bottom of the drawer enclosure to slide it in. Haven't had a chance to browse the hardware store yet.
Lucas
Lucas Peters

Lucas

Post by Lucas »

Here's the latest on the cart.
Found some brackets that fit the controller and mounted it up under the drawer.
Cobbled up a dust collection rig. I made a little cage out of PVC to support the weight of the hose. The hose is Rockler's flex hose so it has some give to it.
The port on the gantry attaches to the underside of the router mounting plate and the brush plate sticks to it with rare-earth magnets. I made it out of some acrylic I had sitting around. Got the brush from McMaster-Carr.

Aside from jogging it around to make sure the hose isn't flexing the gantry, I haven't tested it out. The fit on the two mating acrylic plates isn't great, mostly due to my less-than-stellar epoxy skills.

Does anybody know if I can ground out the DC hose on the Z-axis motor's ground wire? I'm a bit worried about static that close to all the electronics.

I'm open to any suggestions for improvement. I'll let you know how (if) it works.
Thanks.
Lucas
Brush plate on the table, dust port plate on the router mount
Brush plate on the table, dust port plate on the router mount
The two plates connected with rare-earth magnets
The two plates connected with rare-earth magnets
PVC cage to hang DC hose
PVC cage to hang DC hose
Lucas Peters

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for the updates. I missed your question about grounding. I'd contact Next Wave Support to ask that question. They mention in their current manual to contact them if you have grounding concerns or needs - they have a solution apparently. Look forward to hearing how this all worked for you.