Would you buy this again

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

SawDust913

Re: Would you buy this again

Post by SawDust913 »

I'd buy the Shark Pro Plus HD again. I had a problem that kept me from making sawdust for a few days but customer service at Rockler then on to Next Wave Automation (the manufacturer IN UNITED STATES OF AMERICA) the situation I had was the Z stepper motor kept coming loose from the drive screw. Next Wave overnight-ed new coupler and screws then after hours; 6:30pm via: phone we replaced the coupler and the problem resolved in less then 10 minutes! Go Figure 1 in a million screws I get the short one. You do need to have some computer knowledge, but not that much, finding, moving, naming files. I have found with the help of the on line tutorials I have created the Tap. files needed to communicate to the CNC control box. If I can learn to create it! then anyone with a little common sense and imagination can create it. The software calls for a 2GHz pentium 4 processor with 1GB Ram (Unless you have 'worthless Vista' then you need 2GB Ram. I have 1.3 processor with 2GB Ram and it works fine so far. I didn't turn off power saving setting, and ended up causing the CNC to "hic-up" and 3 holes drilled too big. I shut off 'all' auto settings and I disconnect the internet when I get ready to load the tap. files. No more hic-up. I got the Shark Pro Plus HD as it has the big bed so I can put some design on all my kitchen cupboards (when I get around to remodel). I think that this machine will pay for itself within the next 3 year, maybe sooner maybe longer? But it will be fun creating it. I downloaded the free heart box program from Vectric and made 4 boxes for my first project. turned out great.
So again I would buy this machine again! Made in Ohio, USA and customer service all speaks English. :D

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

I'm curious as to why TnT has yet to identify just what the problem with his machine was.

As for the Shark itself, this is my second CNC router and from what I've read on the forum so far you people don't understand what a real problem is. The Shark is very well designed and built for the price, yes you can buy a machine that is perfectly square, flat and tracks 100% true for about 3 times the price. Or you can go the route that Tnt suggested and build your own and you'll wind up with something about like the Shark with about $2000.00 invested in material (didn't mention man hours, how much it your time worth) and no tech support. Or you could buy a kit cheapest I've seen was about $1800 and maybe tech support with help you, provided he's not busy or the cell phone is charged up..

FYI I'm not defending Nextwave here, I've not really dealt with them yet. But I do like their product if I had an extra 10 grand laying around I might have gotten a better CNC...Oh well
Last edited by sk8nmike on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loudspeakerboy

Post by Loudspeakerboy »

@ sk8nmike

I agree with you.. Where/what is the alternative product for the money.

I personally love to modify stuff, and I've enjoyed every minute of making my little machine better. I think building the 8020CNC machine looks like a blast. As it stands though.. I just don't need a bigger machine.. Yet..!

TnT Woodworking

Post by TnT Woodworking »

sk8nmike wrote:I'm curious as to why TnT has yet to identify just what the problem with his machine was.

As for the Shark itself, this is my second CNC router and from what I've read on the forum so far you people don't understand what a real problem is. The Shark is very well designed and built for the price, yes you can buy a machine that is perfectly square, flat and tracks 100% true for about 3 times the price. Or you can go the route that Tnt suggested and build your own and you'll wind up with something about like the Shark with about $2000.00 invested in material (didn't mention man hours, how much it your time worth) and no tech support. Or you could buy a kit cheapest I've seen was about $1800 and maybe tech support with help you, provided he's not busy or the cell phone is charged up..

FYI I'm not defending Nextwave here, I've not really dealt with them yet. But I do like their product if I had an extra 10 grand laying around I might have gotten a better CNC...Oh well

When did I say anything about building a machine? Honestly, I didn't want to take the time to build my own machine in the beginning, but I feel like I could have saved a lot of time. As far as having tech support with the Shark, you can't prove it by me. Like I said, I ended up buying my own parts and fixing it myself. Does that sound like tech support to you?

As far as what was wrong with my machine. All of my information was given to tech support, but they chose to ignore what I told them. I have worked on machinery for 25+ years, so I do know a little about how to diagnose a problem. Don't take this wrong, but it's not my place to fix their problems in my machine or anyone elses.

Tom

sk8nmike

Post by sk8nmike »

TnT Woodworking wrote:
sk8nmike wrote:As far as what was wrong with my machine. All of my information was given to tech support, but they chose to ignore what I told them. I have worked on machinery for 25+ years, so I do know a little about how to diagnose a problem. Don't take this wrong, but it's not my place to fix their problems in my machine or anyone elses.

Tom

Again what was wrong with it? Defective motor, warped lead screw, bent guide rod? Someone else might run into the same problem.

Mike

steveb624

Post by steveb624 »

For those that care (and those that don't), I just purchased the Shark Pro HD. Thanks for all of your input, it was a part of my decision.
Steve

GARYR6

Post by GARYR6 »

Well, then we all wish you good luck, make lots of dust, post pics, so we can see. The majority of us, have had little if any, issues with our machines. Of course that is of little comfort to those who have not been as lucky.
Keep cutting.

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

I seriously doubt that you will regret it. As with anything, I guess there is always the possibility that you can get a lemon, although its more common with cars (LMAO) but seems that most problems that I have heard of (none experienced on my part) have been dealt with and conquered. And there is bed level, firmness issues.... I wouldn't deny it, but even with that, knowing what to watch for and many taking it into account in your set up, even that has been a non issue for me in what I have done so far. Good luck, and keep in mind the guys on this forum is a terrific resource. The accumulated wealth of experience is pretty hard to beat.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

Shipahoy

Post by Shipahoy »

This is a really old conversation...but I guess I have to start somewhere.

I don't have the CNC shark yet and am not certain I will need it. Actually I want to slow pitch this idea. I want to design and shape a ships hull...Is this something I can do with the CNC?

GARYR6

Post by GARYR6 »

Yes, as long as its not much more than 2 inches deep and you upgrade the software to Aspire (3d stuff).