Layers

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

mike&jo

Layers

Post by mike&jo »

Would like to try layering letters, need a couple of inputs.
Thanks

Phil B

Re: Layers

Post by Phil B »

Are you talking about putting text on top of some other text with them at different heights?

PMB
http://benchmark.20m.com
Attachments
text sample.jpg

TomK

Post by TomK »

I'm not sure if that is what Mike is asking about, but I would like to know. I have tried to figure this out several times and just can't get it right. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom

mike&jo

Post by mike&jo »

Phil
Thats what I was looking for, to get letters atop at differnt cut heights.

GARYR6

Post by GARYR6 »

ME too.........

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

I hope this doesn't turn out to require Aspire :)
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

tmerrill

Post by tmerrill »

No, this can easily be accomplished with VCP (or Aspire) using only 2D toolpaths.

Big steps are to create the text you want and get it properly positioned.

Select the text, right click and use the Copy to Layer command to send a copy to a new layer. Make this layer invisible for now.

Select the border and the smaller text and create a shallow pocket toolpath. In the example I used a cut depth of 0.1".

Open the Layer Manager and make the second layer with text visible and active by checking the box and clicking on the layer name to highlight it.

Select all the text and convert to curves using the right click menu.

Now you will use the Weld Selected Vectors tool (icon is in the Edit Objects section) to join the small text with the large text but there is one thing to be careful of - after you select all the text, hold down the shift key and deselect all the "islands" in the letters unless they touch a part of the text you are welding to. If you don't do this, the islands will disappear when you weld, but you can simply do an undo and try again. When you have all the vectors selected/deselected click on the Weld tool icon.

When happy, select the border again and this newly created shape and calculate a slightly deeper pocket toolpath. I used 0.2" in the example.

Tim
Attachments
layerd text.jpg
Layed text example.crv
(1.45 MiB) Downloaded 592 times

mike&jo

Post by mike&jo »

Thanks Tim

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Tim,

That's a long cutting time. How would it be with a bigger bit?

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

tmerrill

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Tony,

Yes, you are correct for how I did this simple sample. Since my goal was to show the technique of welding designs together and the project size was small, I just selected a very small bit to get the detail and let people preview the results with only two toolpaths.

Your bit selection would depend on the size of your project and it is easy to see how a particular size bit will work by using the Solid feature in the toolpath preview. Most likely the best approach will be to use the Larger Area Clearance Tool feature of the pocket toolpath and hog out the large areas with a larger bit and capture the detail with a smaller bit.

Tim