Milling items longer than the table?

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

TAErb

Milling items longer than the table?

Post by TAErb »

All,

Good afternoon, before I purchase my Shark I have a quick question. If I wanted to mill a pattern obviously longer than the table can I and how would I do it? Reason I ask is because I'd like to purchase the Wildlife scenes from Vetric and before I do I want to make sure I can do this.

Thanks for looking,

Terry

sk8nmike

Re: Milling items longer than the table?

Post by sk8nmike »

Both V-Carve and Aspire have a tiling funtion that will allow you to carve longer and wider then the table of your router. The method is shown here;

http://www.vectric.org/video/aspire3/2d ... s-web.html

thomas

Post by thomas »

If the wild life scene is 3d i don't think VCP tiling function will allow you to tile 3d models. I don't know about aspire. If I'm wrong about VCP not capable I would like to know from anyone who has successfully done it. I've tried but when you import 3d toolpaths into VCP it won't let me tile them.

tmerrill

Post by tmerrill »

Hi Thomas,

You should be able to tile 3D designs imported into V-Carve Pro. Quick examples shown below.

If you can provide more details as to the results you were getting, someone will help you out.

Tim

PS To avoid any possible confusion the two Vector Art 3D Design & Carve series are designed only to work with Aspire. If you are using 3D Machinist/Cut3D and VCP, select and purchase the scenes offered on the Vector Art 3D main site and the .v3m format would be the recommended format.
Attachments
Wilderness scene tiled in VCP.JPG
Tiling 3D in VCP.JPG

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

On a related point, I've been looking into stretching the Y axis capacity of my Shark Pro for the same reasons... I occasionally have parts that are just a little too long to cut within the 24" x 24". It appears I'd need longer guide rails and a longer feed screw, but I can easily make a longer bottom and top for the table. Anyone know a source for and the diameter of the guide rails? I only plan on adding 6" to the length so not worried about sagging.