Leadscrew pitch on cnc shark pro

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

johnnycat500

Leadscrew pitch on cnc shark pro

Post by johnnycat500 »

My cnc shark is 2 years old and X and Y is has a lot of play in them. I want to replace the t-nuts for both but I need to know the pitch of the leadscrew. [ I don't know the correct terminology ] I have talked to next wave and not all machines use the same pitch. I can not find the invoice so I can tell them the exact date i bought it, and the rockler store I bought it from has no record of me in their computer. It is 2 years old this month or next. It is a white pro. Also is there other t-nuts that will fit this machine thanks

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Leadscrew pitch on cnc shark pro

Post by jeb2cav »

One thing you might consider doing is taking the leadscrew to a local machine shop. Machine shops have gauges that are used to determine thread pitch. You could then order these from NWA or look elsewhere -but if it is the case that the pitch of the lead screw varies depending on date of manufacture, and you don't know that, this may be the only way to know with authority the pitch of the lead screws on your machine.

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

You can count the number of full turns of the screw needed to move the axis 1 inch and that will give you the pitch.
The pitch, along with the diameter of the lead screw, should be all NWA needs to get you the correct lead screw nut.
(Unless they have changed vendors or type of screw profile).
Since these are American thread screws, you should find it is a whole number (like 2 or 4 turns per inch).

If I remember correctly, most older sharks were 4 turns per inch, or .25 pitch.
The older sharks used a smaller diameter lead screw in the gantry (3/8") than on the y axis under the table (1/2"), so you may need two different sized nuts.

Wolffie1

Post by Wolffie1 »

I have the same problem with my HD and it is only 12 months old.
$60 for 3 plastic nuts is highway robbery.
I found a solution here
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thread ... e-easy-way
Cheers
Wolffie

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Isn't there a model number and serial number of the control box that comes up on the control panel when it starts? And seems like they would have the board or the box serial numbered. I can't believe they would make changes and not be able to tell what is out in the field with a high level of certainty. Just a thought, make sure the setscrews aren't loose or not grabbing on the leadscrew. When mine were loose it gave similar symptoms.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

johnnycat500

Post by johnnycat500 »

I talked to next wave again today and gave them the date I bought the machine. They still wanted me to see how many turns the leadscrew turns in one inch which I just didd.Y leadscrew is .500 O.D. 4 turns in one inch,X .375 O.D. 4 T.P.I and z .500 O.D. 4 T.P.I. Glad I now know what leads crews are on the machine. I wish It was easier to just go on their site and have a listing for the different pitch leadscrews they have used.