Controller problems

Discussion specifically about the Shark's bigger brother, the CNC Shark Pro

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Ardmar

Controller problems

Post by Ardmar »

When I try to load a .tap file created in VCarve Pro into the SD flash card in the controller, I get a "load error". I have tried loading different files with the same result. I even replaced the SDFlash card, but still get the same error. I ace the latest controller software and can jog the unit. Any ideas???

spinningwood

Re: Controller problems

Post by spinningwood »

Have you always had this problem or is it something new (like maybe after some other change to your system?)?

If you are using long filenames, try renaming one of your toolpath files to AAA.tap and then try loading AAA.tap. If it works then there is something in your filenames making the control program unhappy.

I suggest this because I get file errors when using the scan probe if I use long file names.

As another test you could post one of your problem toolpaths (use upload attachment below the reply message box) and one of the other users here could try loading it and see if they get a problem. Would help to isolate the problem.

Ed

Jim N

Post by Jim N »

I have been having the same problem with "error". I have re-booted Panel, re-booted 'puter.
What seems to work: keep reloading .tap and running - sometimes 5+ times
Definately a PIA but I do get it to work. HOPING for a fix
Jim N

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

Load error usually happens because you are using the wrong post processor. When you are making the Toolpath (tap file) you need to make sure that you have selected the CNC shark on the save toolpath section of Vcarve. I have also seen this happen with a bad SD card, but since you said you changed the card it might not be the problem. Make sure you are using the current controller program 1.4.0.9 (current) if you are using cards larger then 1 gig.

The shark looks for this to be in the Gcode file for it to proceed.
Top three lines for inches
G90
G20
F100

Then at the bottom should be
M02

If this is not what you are seeing they you have the wrong post processor.

Tim

Jim N

Post by Jim N »

I am having the same problem. Even .tap files that have loaded OK in the past get a
loading "error" once in a while. I have found that if you keep loading the .tap file,
sometimes 5+ times, it will eventually work. Not a fix, but a work around.
I have not called Tim Owens about this yet but may in the future. I am sure
he will see this anyway so: HEEEEEELLLLLLP.
Jim N

JamesEinolf

Post by JamesEinolf »

I'm having the same problem (see my post titled "Load error"). I can tell you that shorter file names probably won't help, as the error occurs with the sample files included with the software.

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

What post processor do you have selected when you are saving the toolpath?

Ed

Ardmar

Post by Ardmar »

This problem just started after I downloaded the new controller software. I have two computers, one with XP and the other with Windows 7, and I get the same error message with either one. I have the post processor set to CNCShark-USb Arcs (inch) (*.tap) and that has always worked. I tried to attach a tap file, but that is not allowed.

wyzarddoc

Post by wyzarddoc »

G-code files are formatted in text format so you can open them with microsoft wordpad and edit them. Just search online for G-code and you can easily make your own changes to the G-code for extended functions. If you get garbage when you open the file with wordpad then the post processor from the Vetric software is possibly the problem. Be sure you have the correct post processor selected, Worse case buy Mach 3 cam I have used it for 1 year with my Shark pro much better than the free cam software.
Doc

Ardmar

Post by Ardmar »

I opened several of my .tap files with Notepad and didn't see anything unusual, comparing one file to another, but I'm not a programmer so I might not recognize anything unusal in the file.