Machine lost 1.125 in Y movement

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

BobA

Machine lost 1.125 in Y movement

Post by BobA »

I was machining a graphic with text below. Cut the picture okay but when moved to text below graphic text was 1.125 closer than I had programed. Text was okay except it was in wrong location. I was V carving and had FRO set to 100%. It appeared and sounded like Y axis motor had advanced but head did not move 1.125". When program ended and returned to zero my Y axis was -1.125 short of true zero.

I rezeroed head and set FRO to 30% as I had read on this forum and the machine cut correctly. I rerun program two more times and machine repeated correctly. I did not change program. I ran same program (4) times.

Is there a flaw in basic control program or did my Y axis slip off location?

Is there a logical explanation?

Strange.

Bob

Consultingwoodworker

Re: Machine lost 1.125 in Y movement

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

Sounds like something jammed and stalled the gantry from moving.

I don't want to sound obvious, but look to see that no scraps or foreign objects are anywhere around where the gantry moves. I have been known to carelessly lay a tool down where the gantry is supposed to go.

Also check both ends of the little black metal bushings that connects the drive motor shaft to the drive screw. There are set screws on each end. I had one that worked loose and caused a problem.

Hope the helps,

Ralph

BobA

Post by BobA »

Good Morning Ralph,

The Gantry was clear.
I tried to get to the Y axis drive to check to see if the screw was loose from motor.

I do not want to disassemble if I don't have too.

Bob

Consultingwoodworker

Bob,

I have the pro, not the plus, so it might be a bit different, but you can test the y axis by gripping the screw while jogging.

On mine it is not easy to get to, but you should be able to.

I think that for the fix (if this is the issue) you only need to unbolt the y motor, then slide the gantry toward the front. The rear of the screw is set it a bearing in the rear wall of the base.everything should slide forward, you'd only need a few inches to expose the connector.

If the problem does not seem to be mechanical, be sure that your USB cable is not crossing the power cords. That can lead to interference.

Ralph

BobA

Post by BobA »

Ralph,

I do not have enough room to get to the Y axis screw without taking something loose.

I will check further this afternoon, time to leave for Church now.

Ralph do you belong to the Murfreesboro woodworking club?

Thanks again,
Bob

Consultingwoodworker

Bob,

I do not belong, but would be interested to learn more.

Ralph

theremin

Post by theremin »

To get to the Y screw on my pro plus, I had to take off part of the table. It's easy to do and undo though--just loosen the bolts at each end underneath the center two pieces of the blue channel material, and the channels will slide right off. They're just held in place with T bolts underneath. With two of the channels removed, there was plenty of room to work on the Y screw. Putting the channels back on is also easy.

Dave

BobA

Post by BobA »

Thanks Dave,

That is the response I have been waiting for. I had surmized that the only way I was going to get to the Y axis screw was to take a piece or two off of the channel but I was waiting for someone to tell me that they had done it with no problems. I going to try it after I make sure I have an allen wrench that will fit the screw.

Bob

BobA

Post by BobA »

I slide the two center pieces of blue channel and checked the set screws on the Y axis screw.
At first I thought there was no set screw. There appears to be some sort of adhesive on the top of the screw that does not permit the allen wrench to enter. I picked enough out to permit me to use the allen wrench. The set screw was secure. I held the coupling and was unable to move the screw by hand.

The screw seems to be only about 1/8" long and a hole in the center as I think I see the Flat on the end of the screw.

Is this correct? I checked X and Z axis set screws and they appear to be the same.

Will someone from from New Wave give me the set screw dimensions?

Still no explanation for my loss in Y axis.

Bob

RhB_HJ

Post by RhB_HJ »

Hi Bob,

Can't give you the dimension of the set screw (off sick at home), however from what Tim recommended they use Gorilla Glue. Personally I would recommend Loctite 242.

BTW this brings up the issue of the manual again i.e. it would be nice to have details like that listed in the troubleshooting section of the manual.
Cheers

HJ
_______
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca