Will the Shark Work For My Project? See Photo.

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

fishinggp

Re: Will the Shark Work For My Project? See Photo.

Post by fishinggp »

Hmmm...need to buy bits.
Last edited by fishinggp on Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishinggp

Post by fishinggp »

Are the 22 or 60 degree v bits equal in cutting size to the 1/16" straight bit? If not, do you have a suggestion for a v bit size that is comparable to the 1/16" straight bit?

Also, I went on the Rockler website to find 1/8" end mil you suggested and couldn't find one. Is there another name for this type of bit?

I just want to make sure I purchase the best, longest lasting bits I can the first time around (and hopefully in the correct size:). Thank you, Patty

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

I don't know how deep of a cut you could get before you reach 1/16 width. I'll defer to anyone else that could answer that one.

I bought my smaller bits through mlcs. I could not anything smaller than 1/4 through rockler. As far as vendors go though, everyone will tell which they prefer. Some where on this site and the vectric forum there are some good threads for recommended bit suppliers.

Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

fishinggp

Post by fishinggp »

I will check mics. thank you.........

OakBrook

Post by OakBrook »

I am currently experimenting with different bits I am trying to make a detailed engraving that is high quality,I like the v bit for lettering but have not found a suitable bit yet for high definition engraving on wood. I know that carbide seems to last the longest.
Talloak

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

I've read through some posts on lithographs on wood in the Vectric forum - particularly in the Photo Carve section. Some seem to have good results using a 60 degree v-bit, others use a 30 degree for both wood and corian. I have had some impressive results so far using the 30 degree v-bit with corian for lithographs - I'd expect similiar results with wood and engraving. On my list to try, but haven't yet. You may want to thumb through some posts over on that forum for tips, try them out, and then share your findings here as well.

Buc

Post by Buc »

Detailed v-carving works best with a sharp bit and a close grained hardwood. Softer woods seem to have more fuzzies. Hear is a link to my next purchase of a 60 deg. v-bit.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200825 ... x#Articles

It is also a good idea to run v-carve tool paths twice for cleaner results.

I have also used the v-bit instead of an end mill with really great results. Recently I tried a v-bit on my Harley Davidson Eagle project and liked the results. Much better detail.
Buc.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday