Touch Plate!

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Consultingwoodworker

Re: Touch Plate!

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

JRMoore,

I actually suggested that technique, and posted a video showing the proceedure. It WAS how I set bits between changes before the step command was added to the controller software. Back then, you could not move the bit less than about 0.005" in any reasonable fashion.

While it was (in my opinion) the best option at the time, the bit will actually raise slightly as the collet tightens. As long as you ALWAYS set all your bits this way, the error was too small to worry about.

Now I simply use a piece of paper as if it were a feeler gauge. An actual feeler gauge would actually be preferable.

Also, there is only so much accuracy you can expect or even should worry about. Any place on a decent sized board that you touch off to will NOT be exactly the same thickness as the rest. Run a micrometer around the edge of whatever you are cutting and depending on the material and method of processing, there will be measurable variation. Look at the materials sold by McMaster-Carr. Every one lists a tolerance for thickness. Plastics typically are 5% or more.

On top of all that, your wood panel will expand and contract with the temperature and humidity by a couple thousandths, so there is a reasonable limit to the effort you put into being perfectly accurate.

Ralph

misterx

Post by misterx »

Hi, I have been using virtual zero with the touch plate for a while now and it's been doing real good. Well just a few cuts ago, I'll run the program and it will go to all four corners then the middle, and I take it away. When I select run file it starts and turns on the router then it goes down into the piece just a little bit before it starts to do all my set cuts. It was working fine and I didn't change the preference's for the thickness on the touch plate. So far I've only tried it with one bit a .25" endmill. I am going to try it with a differant bit in some scrap wood to see if it still does it with that bit. Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone help me or tell me where to get some help. Thanks Tim
Attachments
This is what it does at the X and Y start point, I tried a smaller bit and the same thing.
This is what it does at the X and Y start point, I tried a smaller bit and the same thing.
image.jpg

pdkama

Post by pdkama »

I purchased the rockler 60 annsy. and have had nothing but trouble with the machine. The table top is not level, the virtural zero is not working. Purchase something other that this machine. :oops: