What's the Next Feature You Would Like?

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

baby15

Re: What's the Next Feature You Would Like?

Post by baby15 »

a better top. with a small price upgrade. or sell a better top extra for a small price

Erniewood

Post by Erniewood »

Just some feed back in regards to some of these issues.
The levelling; I have fixed one sheet of Mdf down to the table with bolts, then screwed another to this and done a grid pattern in 10mm squares over the whole sheet keeping just inside the limits of the machine .
This is now my machine bed and I have not once hit the limits.
The grid pattern lets you know pretty much where you are on the bed.
With the levelling I screw another piece of Mdf down and do a skim on this to make it perfect,or you could do this on the first sheet just make sure you keep the bolts down a bit.
The only problem here is you can't use the clamps on the T tracks.
Most stuff I machine I screw down or use double sided tape.
As for the dust issue and noise I have my whole machine in a purpose built enclosure where I can drop all the sides down to access and clean. dust extraction just hooks up to the bottom.
Also the tool changing I do a lot of small parts so I use the bits with the collar on them, set the height once and change tools 50 times if you want without having to check height

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Erniewood wrote:The only problem here is you can't use the clamps on the T tracks.
Most stuff I machine I screw down or use double sided tape.
One solution for not being able to use the clamps would be embed some threaded inserts in a rectangular array on your MDF top. The CNC itself could bore all the necessary holes. Perhaps in a 4"x4" or 3"x3" grid?

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

tonydude wrote:Wooderaser,

You have a shark it can't do that on a router. You need a spindle like on the bigger machines shopbot etc. the router only plugs in the back of the controller no connection to the internal router.

Tony
Seems like it is time for routers to get "smart". I can't see any reason since ethernet can be sent over power lines that an RPM signal couldn't be sent up the power cord to control it. Yes, we would need an updated plug connection for the controller box to make it work along with an updated router. Yep, a dream for sure. Tool manufacturers seem to be always looking for ways to improve their tool lines though. This would be one feature/standard I'd like to see added.

adowty

Post by adowty »

I would like to be able to jog and reset x0y0z0 while paused. It has happened too many times that part of my program puts a little too much pressure on the router and the zero ends up being slightly different than when the cut started.

My work pieces are never rectangular and so there are many sections in my cut files where the machine cuts thin air. I would like to be able to hold down a button during those sections, and then later be asked if I would like them to be safely edited out.

It's great to be able to slow the feed rate down during some points in the cut. Imagine if the software recorded those actions so next time I didn't have to drive.

An auto milling feature in the control panel would be nice. I have milling and surfacing files saved on my machine, but it would be cool to do it on the fly.

Limit switches and an auto machine center feature would be handy.

MOSTLY, I want a kit to build a longer bed and I want that bed to be LEVEL and IN LINE with the gantry.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

I was browsing the older posts here, and noticed NWA's Tim O. mentioned that limit switches were on the menu for upcoming features. Those posts were a couple years old, and no limit switches have shown up as a home upgrade or feature on new models.

Here is an idea for NWA, and you can have it for free:
- The Touch Plate and Probe use the same jack on the controller, but obviously at different times. This appears to be a simple open/closed circuit detector.
- Only 2 switches are needed. They could be parallel plugged into the same jack. Close either of them to close the circuit.
- A "find limits" routine added to the control panel would move the gantry forward until it hit a front limit switch, set Y=-Yrange/2, then move to Y=new 0. Repeat in the X direction by moving the router mount left until a limit switch is closed. Set X=-Xrange/2, then move to new X (center of cutting limits).
- Since the cutting limits are a known dimension, once the system knows where two adjacent edges are it knows where the very center is.
- Even if a user sets a new Home position for a specific job, the original center isn't forgotten.
- loaded job files could be parsed to find toolpaths that would wander outside of the machine limits and warn the user.

Both switches could be mounted on the gantry. The Y switch under the bed would close when the undercarriage approached the front vertical wall. Mount the X switch right below the X motor where the router mount would close it on left approach. Cable from Y switch to X switch then could follow the X/Z motor cable shroud back to the controller.

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

4D

Interestingly enough, my old shark pro came with homing and limit switches on all 3 axes (in the days when the shark used Mach3). Switches were dropped with the new controller, and promised several times and never delivered. Limit switches are more important, IMHO, to prevent damage from running into the hard stops. (very easy to do in the Z especially).

Most recently, Tim promised homing switches when the touch plate was being developed, for delivery in the first quarter of 2012. Now over a year late and no updates on delivery.

Yes, The probe input would be the easiest way to interface the switches as the probe is a simple switch closure device as well. It would seem to be a software development issue. Mach3 gives you more inputs so they can all exist separately.

The closed and somewhat secretive nature of the new controller caused me to go in a different direction and stay with Mach3. All of my other CNC's use it as well, so the interface is consistent across my router, mill, and lathe, and 3d printer.

Bob

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Thanks for your post, Bob. Your original Shark must have been an earlier version than mine. I got my Pro when Rocker first advertised them. By then they came with a black plastic controller wired straight to a separate external power supply. I didn't realize NWA was selling CNCs before their connection with Rockler. It would be nice to hear how the NWA-Rockler relationship started.

I (very) recently bought their new controller to upgrade my old Shark, and have given my old controller to a friend who is researching how to make his own CNC. He is guessing there are at least a few unused inputs on the controller board, and I know since I had to add the probe/touchplate jack when the probe first came out, that indeed it was plugged into an existing but unused (at that time) port on the board. It would indeed be great to see a limit switch upgrade made available.

The current Touch Plate routine and Touch Plate itself could be used with just a little tweak of the software and some clever thinking. If the Set Z routine could be made to include a Set X and Set Y routine, but otherwise work the same, we would just need a place to snap the touch plate to and stick the magnet to that would close as X approached one side or Y approached the front (or back).

4D

Wolffie1

Post by Wolffie1 »

Something very simple:

The controller to remember whether you use metric or imperial.
Far too often I forget to change it over and disaster happens :evil:
Cheers
Wolffie

stephenb79

Post by stephenb79 »

I would like to have an x axis that doesn't "glitch". I'm throwing away a lot of blanks due to this issue. I have sent the controller back once and it was returned with a troubleshooting guide stressing the wire connections. I went further and replaced the existing quick connectors with terminal strips. It ran beautifully for a short time. I guess my next step is solder wires into the controller board to replace the green connectors inside. It is the x axis every time. I have swapped motors to isolate the x drive. The ball screw does not move when powered. I blow out the controller regularly. I oil all shafts and ball screws regularly. I'll run a program and it works fine. Run the same program again and it ruins my blank. Please help and yes it is out of warantee. I thought of this machine as a smart investment but now I'm starting to lean towards a loss. I hate to say this because I am very impressed when it does work in my favor.