What's the Next Feature You Would Like?

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

4DThinker

What's the Next Feature You Would Like?

Post by 4DThinker »

I've had my Shark since they first came out, and am impressed by the Scan Probe and now the Touch Plate that have been added to it's capabilities. Newer models came with On/Off control of any router plugged into the controller.

This thread is for any other "feature" you would like your Shark to have. Realistic or dreamy, I don't care.

One thing I'd love to have is limit detection. Either as a routine you could run when first powering up, or switches installed at the x,y,z limits to halt a program in progress if one is closed. Basically I'd like my Shark to keep track of where the real limits are, regardless of where you've homed the current job. Before any job runs the software could warm you if anything in it would exceed the real limits.

For a dream I'd love some clever way to auto-change bits during a job. This would take something smarter than the Colt or Porter Cable routers used currently. Sure love being able to use up to 8 different bits in a job run on a bit-changing CNC.

What would you like your Shark to do that it doesn't currently do?

hdtheater

Re: What's the Next Feature You Would Like?

Post by hdtheater »

A self leveling table! :)

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

As a dream feature, I would like to see a sensor thy can adjust the FRO if there is too much pressure on the bit. I have read heaps of information on feed rates, but it still is a crapshoot for me.

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Love to have a self-leveling table as well. Seems as though with some motorized adjuster feet for raising/lowering each corner, the same strategy used for the Touch plate could do the job. Instead of the bit lowering until it hits the Touch plate, each corner of the table could be lifted until the plate touches the bit. With the bit always at the same z. Finish by bring the center up to the same Z. You could use manual adjusters, with the software emitting a loud BEEP then raising the bit the split second you've raised the corner to make the touch plate touch the bit.

wolffie

Post by wolffie »

I would like to see the ability to remember where the project was stopped in the event of a power failure.
I would also like to be able to aircut the external limits of the model like my sewing machine does. It simply runs a square/rectangle around the size of the model. That way one can determine where on the material the model should be cut.
Perhaps dipping into the corners and make a small mark if needed.
I know that I can program the machine to do it as a toolpath but it would be nice to just have it built in.
Cheers
Wolffie
I am never going to die, I live in Paradise already

BillK

Post by BillK »

I'd like to be able to define a Machine X0Y0Z0 as well as a workpiece 0,0,0. That way you could reference one from the other and find workpiece 0,0,0 if it happened to be lost.

A software method to define axis would also be useful, that way a project edge could be used to define an axis, rather than lining up an edge with an axis. Define one axis and 0,0,0 and you'd be able to start from there.

I would also like to see a little programming applied that would recalculate the estimated cutting time when the FRO is changed.

Wishful thinking maybe.
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

I'd love a "table mill" routine to be built into the controller software. You tell it what diameter bit you have in the router, and then set Z on the currentable face. It uses the currect diameter and them mills .020 (or any amount you select) down in a rectangle from corner to opposite corner of the cutting limits.

DickL

Post by DickL »

I vote for limit switches I've run my Z axis into the stops so many times that I think I should replace the T nut.

DickL

Bdub

Post by Bdub »

1) Machine Home. Also include a couple user definable "home presets" in addition to a default Machine Home.
2) Limit Switches. Likely a necessity for a Machine Home feature.

Mick86

Post by Mick86 »

I would love it if you could stop the thing going to 0,0,0 at start up so table top and centre point of material could be set as 0,0,0