What's the Next Feature You Would Like?

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

4DThinker

Re: What's the Next Feature You Would Like?

Post by 4DThinker »

Mick86 wrote:I would love it if you could stop the thing going to 0,0,0 at start up so table top and centre point of material could be set as 0,0,0
I'll agree. Can't quite see the need to always go to 0,0,0 at beginning of a cut. Thinking about wrting a small app to edit that move out of the TAP file before loading it.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

I also agree for what it's worth. Unfortunately this is not in the tap file. It is a behavior of the control board in the Control Box.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

jeb2cav wrote:Unfortunately this is not in the tap file. It is a behavior of the control board in the Control Box.
Control box, or the Shark controller software? I realize you may not know, but whatever is doing that (sending the bit to 0,0,0 at the beginning of a cut) should at least be a feature you could turn off.

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

Maybe I missed something from the original post, but why not just set the material center as 0,0,0?

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

As I said, I agree - but it is thus far apparently a hard coded/hard wired function of the circuitry on this particular controller - that's my understanding. The vendor's api doesn't expose this to the software, so NWA can't at this time 'write around it' - ie no on/off setting.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

May have been a feature already mentioned, but I'd sure like a way to have the controller software remember where in the middle of a cut file the emergency stop may have been hit. Then when restarted show an image of the remaining tool paths to be cut, but let you forward or back a line at a time to pick the place in the file you want to officially restart at.

I had two bits break during a session yesterday cutting furniture parts from 3/4" Hickory. The router went on cutting (nothing) from the point the bits broke before I caught on and cancelled the job. After changing the bit basically had to go back to VCarve, edit out the tool paths already cut, leaving only those to be cut, save the file, and reload it in the controller.

Knowing the G-Code file is already in the line buffer there should be a way to both graphically see it as well as step forward and back to pick any logically sound part within it to begin (and end).

wolffie

Post by wolffie »

Hear Hear :)
Wolffie
I am never going to die, I live in Paradise already

mastrogeppo

Post by mastrogeppo »

I vote for limit switches too as my number one improvement. Also
2. a feature that automatically centers the head on the machine's X=0, Y=0, to allow the user to know where to line up the origin on the work piece. This allows to obtain the maximum X and Y excursions and utilize all the available travel.
3. For the Shark model (i.e. the one in which the workpiece rests on an MDF board) I'd like to see an improved hold-down system. The one provided doesn't do a good job at preventing the clamping screws from rotating when I try to tighten them, which requires me to wrap the screw shank in rubber and grab it with pliers.
4. The dust collection system is better than nothing, but that's about it. Since most of the time parts of the dust collecting plate overhangs the work piece, a large enough air gap develops so that most of the suction is wasted. An improved design would be appreciated.
5. A simple set of reference lines on the base MDF board (again, speaking for the Shark model with this feature). As it stands, it is very difficult to determine how well the work piece is lined up. A simple grid would make it a lot easier to clamp up the part so that it is square to the axes.
That's about all I can think of for the time being.
Geppo

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Geppo,

I have access to a large Multicam CNC at work, and have cut (improved) spare MDF spoil board for my Shark there. I added a third clamp slot, stretched the MDF to project over the front Y motor, etc. Cut with the back up to simplify making T-Slots, I haven't made any changes to the top, but I like your idea of a shallow grid on the board. I make cut limit marks in the board itself too. Any V-Bit and a grid pattern from VCarve will handle those last two items after the new MDF is mounted.

thepuchman

Post by thepuchman »

limit switches
Machine home position
multiple work offsets
automatic tool changer or macros to support manual tool change and touch plate to adjust Z zero on program resume
4th axis
Liquid cooled dedicated quiet spindle instead of portable router motor
Actual control panel instead of trying to use a mouse to click on jog buttons or Pause bar to prevent a crash