why get a CNC shark

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

BRITTELL

why get a CNC shark

Post by BRITTELL »

I’m looking at getting a CNC shark but found there are no working examples with the system as shipped. Why should I waste the money so that when I get it installed I can't even cut a name plate or some simple sign? Been reading the posts but no central library or folder of projects from the manufacturer or Rockler.. I realize there is a lot of help out there but working exampled is essential to start using one of these systems

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: why get a CNC shark

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi - the software included with the purchase that is used to create the projects is VCarve Pro (and I think Cut3D is typically a part of this bundle). This software is made by Vectric. Along with the software comes an extensive set of tutorial/training material. You can view all of this on their website - http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/ ... _mach.html. In addition to the movies and pdfs you'll find online, the VCarve Pro installation disks also contains the actual example project files for most if not all of the training topics (I've never done a nose count).

So, the reality is that there are 20+ project files delivered with the Shark out of the box. And if you wanted to carve one of these after setting it up, you could. I don't know how many folks realize this - as you have to look at it to recognize it for what it is. One of the challenges I faced was really believing that the training material would be useful, as that has not been my life experience with most software to date. There's a reason why Vectric has been wildly successful with their software - it's not only useful, powerful, and straight forward - they also provide training material to assist with that process.

The most useful thing I did was download the trial version from the Vectric website (it is fully functional other than you can't write a file that could be used on a CNC machine) - and worked my way through many of the tutorials before I decided to buy a cnc machine, and had finished most of the tutorials before it arrived and was setup. My first project was not a sign with my name in it - they make routers and sign kits for that. I found that watching the movie once, then watching/pausing and following along the second time, and then a third time with no reference to see if I could duplicate the process worked best for me.

In fact, there's no requirement from my perspective to even work your way through each and every one of them before you create your first project. At the same token, my view was I'm spending 4K, I need to get my value back. To do that, I believed / recognized I needed to be competent with the software - along with the hardware.

I'm not sure there's a need for Rockler or NWA to provide additional example signs - they made the right choice from my perspective when they packaged the machine with the right software (which comes with 20+ ready to carve projects).

You may have noticed the section where fellow users have shared various projects as well. And as pointed out I suspect in the post you're referring to, Vectric has started an effort to field a monthly project.

For existing owners who aren't aware of what they have - you can find the sample files that 'go along' with the tutorial sessions in the /Sample Files folder of your installation. If it's not there, you may have chosen not to install the training materials, and you can find it on your installation dvd (at least I think you can, it's been a while since I made the original purchase and got a dvd, the rest have been downloads).

Hope that helps.

BRITTELL

Post by BRITTELL »

Thanks I Will start studying as suggested sounds like a good method to learn
Tom

drueth

Post by drueth »

Brittell

I did not want to watch all the tutorials same as jeb2cav but found myself watching them over and over until it sunk in to my old thick head. I now feel I can do a lot with the Shark and the software. The other thing that sold me was you can get help here and also the Vectric fourm site. I found I was learning something new almost ever day when I started Now it may only be once a week but I find many of the project pic. that are post here and also the Vectric site push me to try new things that I would have never though of.

Good luck and welcome to the world of CNC You need to put the time in to learn it. It will take some time.
drueth
Shark Pro Plus HD
new to CNC 12/2012

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

Why get a CNC Shark? It is not for the things you know you can do some other way. A personal CNC machine like the Shark is for making the still un-imagined things that would be impossible or impractical to make any other way.

Sorry. I just get teary-eyed when I see that question, knowing from personal experience how quickly my "make" capability has grown since getting mine. It's a tool that can keep up with a creative mind.