Newbie recieived Pro Plus today w/ shipping damage :(

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Minitucking

Newbie recieived Pro Plus today w/ shipping damage :(

Post by Minitucking »

Been lurking here for the past few weeks. Our Shark Pro Plus came in today after a exciting day of waiting on the UPS truck! We were anxious to open the box and get this thing carving. When we opened the box with the table in it this is what we found......

That is the Y axis ballscrew support bearing shoved through the end of the table. Obviously the UPS people thought it would be cool to inflict some damage to our machine. :evil:

Looks like the gantry support caught the brunt of the blow therefore forcing the antibacklash nut to push the ballscrew into the bearing support to blowout the otherside. Here is the Gantry support piece. Notice the deformation in the top right corner of the support.

Called Rockler Tech Support and talked to Chris. He told me that they have no replacement parts and gave the contact number for next wave automation and told me to talk to Tim Owens and he would be able to help me out. Called and left a message and paitently (yeah right :lol: )waiting on his return call.
We are so excited to get thing running, after messing with a carvewright for the past three years it will be nice to see an actual CNC machine carving. :P

CountryWoodCrafts

Re: Newbie recieived Pro Plus today w/ shipping damage :(

Post by CountryWoodCrafts »

That Bites!!!! They will hopefully have you up and running quickly. Good job on documenting with photos.

Minitucking

Post by Minitucking »

So I Called Tim at Next Wave Automation Yesterday. Explained to him the whole ordeal and what parts were needed ( which was a little difficult being that there is no parts shematic available.. hint hint Tim :lol: ). Tim shipped out new parts and we should be receiving the parts tommorrow.
In the meantime i took the table off and modified the t track mounting. I noticed that the original part was very flimsy so i replaced with some aluminum 1x1 square tube. I am also gonna put two more bolts toward the middle of the t-track mount to help it keep from flexing. Here are some pictures of it.

The Old T track mounting... Plastic

The New T track mount... Aluminum

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

That last photo makes it look much bigger. You should take photos for hotels. :)
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx

REG

Post by REG »

I considered square tubing for mine but decided against if for concern of any "forgiving" in the hollow of the tube. The original plastic has very little "crush" but does flex as you pointed out. I considered wrapping the plastic with aluminum angle giving a strongback while also giving the alignment needed and filling needed for the long table securing bolts.

Since you are currently without a base to see the fit, you might test your clearance of your square tubing over the "Y" axis stepper motor on the damaged base. I found on the aluminum angle I had to notch the verticle to clear the motor.

Bobby

Minitucking

Post by Minitucking »

Dang Bobby i didnt even think about the y motor. i will look at it tommorrow and figure out what i have to do.

REG

Post by REG »

Minitucking wrote:Dang Bobby i didnt even think about the y motor. i will look at it tommorrow and figure out what i have to do.
Well, like I said, been there already and wondered what you did then it dawned on me you have separated it. You don't want to move the motor but you could lift the table with a few more mods. but consider too, higher will take away on Z axis.
I am interested in what you come up with.
Bobby

Minitucking

Post by Minitucking »

REG wrote:
Minitucking wrote:Dang Bobby i didnt even think about the y motor. i will look at it tommorrow and figure out what i have to do.
Well, like I said, been there already and wondered what you did then it dawned on me you have separated it. You don't want to move the motor but you could lift the table with a few more mods. but consider too, higher will take away on Z axis.
I am interested in what you come up with.
Bobby
Looked at it this morning and there is a 1/16" clearence between the new table mounts and the y motor. The rest of the parts are supposed to be in today so hopefully we can cut with this thing today!!

Chris

REG

Post by REG »

Minitucking wrote:
Looked at it this morning and there is a 1/16" clearence between the new table mounts and the y motor. The rest of the parts are supposed to be in today so hopefully we can cut with this thing today!!

Chris
Good deal! It is hard to scale the size of your material in your photo. It appeared to be about 1" but it must be 3/4". I used the 1" angle and it required the notching.

Chris, I have a step I intend to perform on my set and thought to share with you since you will be assembling today.
Mount your gantry prior to installing your table. Don't snug the fasterners on the gantry yet though. With a metal square check the gantry bearing rods (X axis) to be square to the bearing rods under the table (Y axis) Starting at the center of the X axis and the Y axis and re-check at varying jog points of each. I wouldn't really wory with squaring to the plastic base - though I did consider it at first. I think squaring would be best from the axis points since those should not change once all the fasteners are tightened.
Next, install your table and check the gantry bearing rods squaring to the table. If anything is off square, it will be the table. I would start at the center of the table and re-checking running out-ward and in-ward on the axis on each X and Y.
I plan to perform this on mine tonight or tomorrow. I seem to have a continuing carve depth issue when getting 6 - 8 inches from the center of the table. It's not much but I can tell on lite letter carvings.

Bobby

Tim Owens

Post by Tim Owens »

Make sure that your new aluminum parts do not come in contract with the motor.
Also we need to confirm your address for the parts. We got a return on them from UPS.
Thanks.
Tim Owens