Help!!!! with tiling

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

fast eddie

Help!!!! with tiling

Post by fast eddie »

ok guys can anyone please please help me figure this out...HOW DO I SET MY MATERIAL ON MY TABLE FOR TILING?... I have a project that I am doing that is 35 in. on the width and 22 in. on the heighth...ok so obviously its to big to fit on the shark to do in one pass..so I am doing my first tiling job..I got the programming down with no issues my question is this tho...how is that I am suppose to put the material on the machine to do each tile? here is where I am confused on the video it states that each tile must be zeroed out at the bottom left hand corner..does this mean I have to unclamp and rotate my material for each tile??? if so i dont understand how that would even work being that there are 4 tiles 1-4 that are going in couter clockwise tiles 1 -3 will work in the bottom left hand corner but tiles 2-4 wont because of the width being to big... I am most likey over thinking this or not thinking enough for that matter so any help at all would be greatly appreciated being that I am on a deadline!! Thanks you guys please feel free to email me with any help eddienowak111@yahoo.com

fast eddie

Re: Help!!!! with tiling

Post by fast eddie »

Do I need to actually cut my material into 4 sections? is there no way to keep my material in one piece?

tmerrill

Post by tmerrill »

You have 3 choices:

One piece of material that you can pull through your X axis,

One piece of material that you can pull through your Y axis (direction you can pull through depends on your machine's design and layout),

or

Cut into individual tiles where the a size of a tile will either fit on your machine bed or allow you to pull through one of the axis.

I am not sure of your bed size, but would using two individual tiles of 17.5 X 22 work? The goal would be to divide it into a minimum number of tiles to minimize joints.

Tim

RobieMo

Post by RobieMo »

Eddie,
I sent you a PM. Let me know if that helps or what you figured out that worked.

Thanks,
Rob

kguarnotta

Post by kguarnotta »

I'm starting a job that is going to require tiling. I have a CNC Shark Black Diamond. The machine can cut up to 25" x 25". The overall size of my piece is 23"x66".

This is what I know -
  • CNC Shark can machine up to 25" x 25"
    Overall workpiece size is 23" x 66"
    I am cutting slots and holes into it.
    I need to change the bit once (in other words I am using an end mill for part of the cut, then switching to a 60 degree v-groove for the 2nd part of the cut).
    I need to keep it all one piece.
    I believe based on the machine setup- that I am sliding the piece in the Y-direction.
My concern is any cutout that bridges the edge of a tile. Is there a way to accommodate that? I've figured out how to get a straight edge to slide my workpiece against, but how do I make sure I am sliding the piece the exact right amount? I'm looking for suggestions on this - thanks.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

You can find the tutorial here support.vectric.com/tut-vcp-2d-techniques second one down. Study all the tutorials they come in handy. I still go over them and I've been doing cnc for 4 yrs.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

It is actually very simple. You must use the tiling function in VCarve and it will save each file in a t1, t2, etc.

For a pass through, set up the left side of the board where you have something to keep it aligned. It can be the edge of you table or a line in the spoil board etc.

Use the lower left to zero. I use a 1/4" bit to drill a hole on the line separating t1 and t2, setting it for a known distance from the edge of the board, like 1". This will be used to align the board later.

do all cutting in t1 and then slide the board for t2. You will align the edge and then you would jog your router with a 1/4 " bit in it, 1" to the right ( your known distance from earlier. One you have the hole aligned with the bit and your left edge with its mark, you will then clamp it.

Now send your router to 0.0.0 (one inch to the left) and you are ready to select your bit and cut all your files. It will pick up exactly where t1 stopped and will be one piece. It is easier than it sounds .

If you have any questions pm me and I can get you a link to a video

kguarnotta

Post by kguarnotta »

thanks for the tips - I watched the tutorial, but I don't quite get how you move the material between tiles.

I'll try to explain what I'm doing based on your explanation - and where I get lost - please let me know if I'm making any mistakes and any additional explanation of the material shifting would be appreciated.

1. I played with the software, and the tiling function. I see how you get the separate T1, T2 files...
2. I've got a piece of multi-track, that I've attached vertically to my table, to create a straight edge to slide my work piece along. This should keep the "x" constant, and I'll just slide my workpiece in the "y" direction.
3. I set the lower left corner to zero in Vcarve pro, then when I zero out my machine, I pick the lower left corner of my workpiece.
4. I drill a small hole on the line between T1 & T2 (do you do this manually, or let the software do it for you? If you let the software do it - how does it handle cuts on the edge of a tile? Is this where you use the tile overlap feature?)
4. I run T1.
5. I run T1 again (with my 2nd tool - as the cut I'm trying to do requires two different bits)
6. I unclamp my material, slide it down the table.

This is where I get confused

7. After material is slid down table - I insert a 1/4" bit into router, and move router until it aligns with the hole I drilled in step 4.

I'm trying to think through this 'alignment hole'. Assume tile one is 24" x 24", and tile two is 24" x24". the overall workpiece is 24" x 46". So there is a 2" overlap between the two tiles. I drill my alignment hole at x,y coordinate 2" x 23.5" for tile one. On tile 2, this hole would be at location 2", 1.5".

So after tile one is cut, I put in the 1/4" bit. I send the router to 2"x1.5". then I slide workpiece so it aligns with the router bit, and clamp it? I feel like I'm missing something.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

I think you are over thinking it. If your work is 24 X 46 then set your tiles for 24 X 23. This is no different than cutting 2 separate jobs on your machine. The only difference is that when you cut your second job, you are sliding a board instead of replacing it. All that you need is to have the material aligned in the same exact spot and the exact same zero. It is really that simple. There would be no calculating different distances.

try a simple square on a small board using the technique and see how it aligns. When I get home I will locate a video I found on it that explains the entire proceedure. I was intimidated by the thought of using tiling but found it is so easy that I don't hesitate to use it if i need it

The hole is programmed in VCarve to be drilled. You need it to bisect the 2 tiles and just a known distance from the left edge so you know when you are aligned with your original zero.

kguarnotta

Post by kguarnotta »

OK, I agree I over think things a lot.
So no overlap on the tiles.
I'll try a small trial and see what happens.

If you find that video- I'd appreciate it.