ZrN router bits

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

peterchua96

ZrN router bits

Post by peterchua96 »

Hi,

I've been using only Zirconium Nitride ball nose bits for the last 3 years, and I'm looking at an economical alternative.

To give you an idea, one of my ZrN bit got broken after a while due to a mistake. The other lasted about less than a year (10 months and it's dull already) working mostly on pine wood, PVC Foam board, and acrylic. The other one seems to be working for now (appx. a year and a half already) Is this normal? Used around 90 hours a week.

How long will a normal bit last compared to the Zirconium Nitride coated ones?

Any idea?

Also, is there an alternative website where I can get a cheaper bit? I'm planning to buy again and this time I'm on a budget. Any help is pretty much appreciated.

Pete

milo30

Re: ZrN router bits

Post by milo30 »

Life expectancy is hard to say, so many variables. Need to have the right rpm with the right feed speed and the material can effect it. I was also told most tabletops just don't normally cut at optimum speeds the bits require. I was buying from different places and found a local small shop that sold whitehead. Their sales pitch was good and they are cheaper (about 1/2 price) of what it costs at big box stores.

My experience with them is good. I have ordered them online also with good prices for hard to find sizes. I get a year or so before they get too dull. The shop resharpens them for around $6. They only cost me around 15 new for what I use. I'd check them out.

Can yours be sharpened?

peterchua96

Post by peterchua96 »

I bought mine from Precise Bits and I have no idea if it can be sharpened. I search the net and found that once the ZrN got sharpen, it looses its property and becomes normal bit.

In fairness to Precise Bits, they are excellent products (maybe its because of the way I use the bits - but again all I am working on are soft materials - Pine wood, pvc foam board and acrylic) and the price ($42.95) of the ZrN are cheaper compared to Tools Today and Rockler (Rockler offers $49+ for the non ZrN and Tools today cost $52+for the 1/8).

I'm thinking of buying 5 pcs bits where if the ZrN only differs slightly than the ordinary ones they are selling, I can save $50.00. I live abroad and sending the bits to the mainland might as well be good for me to buy a new one.

By the way milo30, can you share me the name of the shop where you bought the bits?

Cheers

milo30

Post by milo30 »

I don't use many bits so I buy mine mostly out of a local shop that sells the whiteside and their stock is a little small. I have ordered from www.carbideprocessors.com also and got about the same price and received them in just a couple of days so I was happy with them. They sell other brands but I just stuck with whiteside because I had a good experience with them. I primarily use vbits and endmills but to give you an example, a typical cheap vbit at homedepot (when they have one in stock) is about $28 here. I buy the whiteside carbide bits for around $13-15.

Try carbideprocessors and see if they have what you want. If they don't I'll drive by my local shop and get the name for you.

I cut primarily corian, poplar, mdf and some pine.

peterchua96

Post by peterchua96 »

Thanks milo30, I'll go check it out.