Owner To Be (Newbie).

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

NLAlston

Owner To Be (Newbie).

Post by NLAlston »

Hello all,

My name is Nathan, and I am as new to this forum as I am to the CNC world. Just a few days ago, however, I learned that I was going to be the beneficiary of $4000, by which to avail myself of some woodworking gear. It was only just before then that I was turned on to computer driven woodworking milling machines, and my whole world was changed. Immediately, all sorts of possibilities began to run through my mind, and I knew that I had to have one. I often go out to our local Rockler Woodworking store, to purchase wood for my woodworking projects. Well, on this one recent day, I visited them - and they just happened to have this one machine set up there. I didn't see it in action, but was able to see a number of projects that had been made on that machine. To say that I was impressed was a statement that could not have been more understated than any other, and I was left salivating. $4000 (that I am very soon to get) would not have been enough to buy a brand new unit, and I asked them to hold that demo unit for me. It was with a price tag of $3,299 (+tax), and I felt that this was a fair price. While waiting for the money to come in, I also did a bit more researching. I looked at some other units, and did like what the Oliver Intellicarve seemed to be about. I especially liked the traveling bed. But the reviews, for the most part, weren't that good.

I don't know ANYTHING about CNC machines, but hope that I have made a good choice in settling on this Shark.

drueth

Re: Owner To Be (Newbie).

Post by drueth »

NLAlston

The most important question is, What type of wood working do you want to do. If you search this site you will see many different ideas. Second what model Shark is for sale in the store. From the price I would guess it is a Shark Pro Plus and not a HD mode 1 or 2. If it is a HD model it is a very good price. Any other model I would look to see what it is going for on the Rockler web site.
The third question is does it come with a copy of Vcarve Pro. If not you will need $600 plus for the software.

Good luck.
drueth
Shark Pro Plus HD
new to CNC 12/2012

NLAlston

Post by NLAlston »

drueth wrote:NLAlston

The most important question is, What type of wood working do you want to do. If you search this site you will see many different ideas. Second what model Shark is for sale in the store. From the price I would guess it is a Shark Pro Plus and not a HD mode 1 or 2. If it is a HD model it is a very good price. Any other model I would look to see what it is going for on the Rockler web site.
The third question is does it come with a copy of Vcarve Pro. If not you will need $600 plus for the software.

Good luck.
Thanks for responding, Drueth.

In answer to your question, I am into many different types of woodworking projects; jewelry boxes, display cases, game boards, sign making, etc. I had been somewhat of a weekend warrior, for a number of years, and now (medically retired) am going to devote myself to a full time operation in my little (basement room) shop. Lately, I have been watching many, many YouTube videos on CNC wood milling, and I just can't imagine NOT buying one of those types of machines.

The demo Shark, that Rockler has on hold for me, is the Pro Plus model. It comes with Vcarve Pro (don't remember which version), Cut3D, the Touchplate and the Colt router. It's regular sale price was $3999, but now $3299 for it being a demo. I wish I could have bought new, but (as mentioned previously) could not afford anything above the $4000 I am very soon to have. And, even after getting the unit, I still won't be able to use it for a while, because of the need to have it married to a computer. That is one reason that the Oliver Intellicarve CNC machine had appealed to me. It didn't need to e tethered to a computer. I had also considered the Rockler Click n' Carve system ($1599), but wasn't sure if it would hold up to the many tasks that I knew I was going to be throwing at it, on a regular basis.

Hopefully, this Shark unit - on hold for me - will prove to be the best bang for those bucks.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi NL -

The ProPlus hasn't been sold for 3,999 for a while - if ever. It currently lists at 3,799. http://www.rockler.com/search/go?w=shar ... =&sli_sid=. Of course the router is another 100, the touch plate 90 - so that may be where the 3,999 is coming from.

I had a good experience with the ProPlus - but today the $200 difference in price between the HD and the Pro Plus makes this a no brainer for choice when choosing at retail price between the Pro Plus and the HD. Used within its limits, the ProPlus can do many/all of the things you listed - and well in my opinion. Again though, within limits - slower feed rates, sometimes shallower depths of cuts, etc.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Have you compared all the different models on their website? http://www.rockler.com/power-tools/cnc-machines It tells you what each unit is able to do and what is included.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

I would echo and amplify on what Jeb has said regarding the models.

IMHO, The HD machines are so far ahead of the pro and plus that it really is a 'no-brainer" unless the non-hd machine is priced very very low.
I am surprised the non-hd line has not been phased out, given the difference in mechanical rigidity and ability to mount better routers on the HD series.

Used non-dh machines pop up on the forum here from time to time, but I would suggest saving up your funds and buying a HD model when the "special packages" are offered. even if it means waiting a little. I know its hard to wait, but you can play with the Vectric software and watch the videos to learn the process while you are waiting.

NLAlston

Post by NLAlston »

I really do appreciate everyone's input, and I have already cancelled the reservation of that demo machine. You see, another issue is the fact that I would also have to have funds for a computer to marry it to. I had also read, during my recent researching, as to the problems with the Shark Pro, and Pro Plus series which had been corrected with the HD version. It is a blessing, indeed, that I am coming into that little money that I am about to get, and I have to get something immediately. I need to generate some income (with the quickness), and feel that I can do so with my woodworking projects that would be done with the aid of a CNC machine. The only two which seem decent to me, now, are the Oliver Intellicarve 1013, and the Carvewright unit. No computer tethering is needed for either of them, and I feel that I may be all right with either.

Thoughts?

milo30

Post by milo30 »

You still need a computer to make a file. As far as the shark goes, you don't need much of a computer to run it. A small $200 notebook will do it. You could find a used laptop on craigslist for less than half that.

You say you need to start making money right away...there is a learning curve that goes with a cnc. It is very easy to spend money at first for wood that goes into the garbage as you learn from your mistakes. Don't be mistaken that it is a miracle machine where you will pump out great things from day one.

If I am not mistaken those machines are closer to $2000 new. It sounds like your financial situation might dictate that you go that route as there are other costs associated like bits.

NLAlston

Post by NLAlston »

milo30 wrote:You still need a computer to make a file. As far as the shark goes, you don't need much of a computer to run it. A small $200 notebook will do it. You could find a used laptop on craigslist for less than half that.

You say you need to start making money right away...there is a learning curve that goes with a cnc. It is very easy to spend money at first for wood that goes into the garbage as you learn from your mistakes. Don't be mistaken that it is a miracle machine where you will pump out great things from day one.

If I am not mistaken those machines are closer to $2000 new. It sounds like your financial situation might dictate that you go that route as there are other costs associated like bits.
Bit of a misinterpretation, on your part, though very understandable - due to the way that I authored the content in this post. Yes, I do want to start making some money - ASAP - but it isn't like the financial straits are as dire as my written expression has made it seem. I also am not under the assumption that I would be in the position to start making saleable projects as soon as I receive what CNC machine I wind up with. I know that there is a learning curve that I will need to conquer, and that will take some time. However, I am a sponge for knowledge, and (being medically retired) would have the time to devote towards a quick learning process. The money that i am coming into is a monetary Christmas present, given expressly for the purpose of buying a CNC machine. I have, since, worked it out where having a computer is not an issue. What has turned me away from the Shark Pro Plus is the lack of rigidity, in its gantry build, as well as the lack of trueness in the table/bed whenever clamping pressures are applied. We're it not for that, I would purchase that machine - for the $3299 (even though some say that this price is excessive) in a heartbeat. I am not within the desire of purchasing a used one from a private owner, because (in being new to these machines) I wouldn't know what to look for, in buying an 'As Is' machine from someone. Therefore, I am left to settle on something else.

NLAlston

Post by NLAlston »

OK, here's the scoop.

I have decided that I am going to go ahead and purchase that demo unit, providing that they can shave off a bit more of the purchase price - and, also providing that the unit hasn't been sold by the middle of the week. I have not forgotten about the flexing issues, or the lack of rigidity concerns which had been expressed by others, but I figure that I can follow the upgrading procedures that some other owners have done - at a future time. I have been researching like crazy, and the Shark line of CNC's seem to be the biggest bang for the bucks.