Work holding

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

damauk

Work holding

Post by damauk »

I am interested in knowing how others hold their work while cutting and engraving. I have been having a lot of difficulty getting consistent results with depth of cut. I know from reading other posts and investigating my machine it has a little to do with my bed being on a slightly different plane than the router and a little bit of "sag" due to the unsupported rail, but I feel a large amount is due to uneven clamping pressure. Has anyone else had this problem and if so have you figured a fix?

BillK

Re: Work holding

Post by BillK »

If you have the aluminum T-track an issue will arise when the clamp reaches from one track to the next piece as the clamp pressure will cause them to deflect away from each other. One solution if you don't use a scarf board is to make sure the clamp is T nutted to the same track as the board where the clamp contact will be placed. This will eliminate the adjoining track deflection.

If you use a scarf board that is thick enough, you can add threaded inserts to anchor your clamps. Take a look at this post to see how this might work for you. http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... carf+board
BillK
http://www.Facebook.com/CarvingsbyKurtz
Instagram: carvingsbykurtz
Twitter: @CBKwoodcarver

SteveFolsom

Post by SteveFolsom »

I have installed a 3/4" thick MDF over the entire work area and use drywall screws to mount registrer boards around the project blank and wedges to secure the blank in place. The 3/4" waste board also provides some needed stiffness to my extended length aluminum t-track table.

damauk

Post by damauk »

Thanks for the replies. I have been using a 3/4" MDF board, but it has never seemed to work very well. I guess I just need to go back to square one and take a little more time. I really like the dowel pin/bench dog inserts in the HDPE top, so I might try something like that.

I will let you know what I come up with.

milo30

Post by milo30 »

Be sure that you surface the MDF before you use it to get it as level as you can. I use MDF and like screws when they are feasible. Sometimes it helps to drill the holes before using screws so it gets a good tight fit.

Laran

Post by Laran »

Hi,
I resolved that problem by creating some holding jigs.
Cut a pocket into the jig. that levels the jig regardless if the machine bed is out of whack.
then use a clamp ring.
any other minor adjustments can then be quickly made by simply adding a bit of masking tape under the jig on the low corner.
Also allows you to easily run multiple pieces without having to zero every time.
Hope that helps.

Dave
Attachments
IMG_20140929_193126.jpg