Shark "shifting" Y-axis south -- non-repeatable?

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

FredJuergens

Shark "shifting" Y-axis south -- non-repeatable?

Post by FredJuergens »

1. My first use of my Shark ProPlus with VCarve Pro 5.5 was to cut a lot of name-plates with just one or two lines of text. After a few stumbles, things went smoothly for 170 or so units. I didn't change anything after this project -- no version upgrades of software, nada.

2. A few days ago, I tried to add a bit-map graphic above some text in a somewhat bigger plaque. VCarve worked fine for this too, and the preview looked great. I created the machine-code for the Shark. About half-way through the engraving of a single line of text I'd inserted below the graphic, all of a sudden, after the bit lifted to move to the left on the X-axis, it also moved south on the Y axis and began engraving the rest of the text about 1.5" lower. This continued until the whole design was complete, including part of the graphic. I wondered if I'd screwed up the VCarve tool-path somehow, so I started over from scratch. The second time things worked OK. I chalked it up to some mistake I must have made.

3. Yesterday, I tried to enlarge just that same bit-map graphic by itself on a new sign; the bit-map itself had some words in it; I didn't add text to this one. Drew all the vectors, previewed the toolpath. Everything looked good. Ran the shark. Again, about half-way through the process, the Y-axis moved south, just as in #2 above, screwing up the design. What did I do this time? No answer, so I started over in VCarve. Same preview. Everything looked good; ran the shark. This time, in the middle, again the Y-axis moved south at the same spot in the engraving, but only about half as far as my first attempt. Getting pi**ed. I copied both *tap files into Notepad and compared the code at a large number of places through both files. The files appear identical, and I especially looked at the Y=values in both. Yet the results are NOT identical, and they're both WRONG. Again, neither preview, which I saved as jpg's, showed a shift at all.

4. I conclude that either there's something wrong with the controller box or the Y stepper motor. X and Z seem to be OK. Does anyone have a clue as to whether there could be another cause for this problem? Or any advice on how to fix it?

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Shark "shifting" Y-axis south -- non-repeatable?

Post by jeb2cav »

There have been a few posts on this - and I've experienced occassional odd behavior. In my case, the solution is anecdotal as I haven't had to do it that often -

Try shutting down the control box - even the computer - but I think the control box is the key. Let them sit a minute or two and then start them back up. It seems as if every now and then the control box mishandles the tap file - for whatever reason or cause. Powering the control box down and then back on, reloading project, etc, seems to clear this up.

You may have taken that step and just not stated. When I first ran into this, I reloaded the program a few times - no powering down of the control box - before trying this and having it all "go away" - ie the same tap file cut fine and cut fine for several jobs after the hiccup.

Please let us know how it goes - more data points...

FredJuergens

Post by FredJuergens »

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try turning off the entire system and see what happens. However, (and I forgot to say so) my method of setting the router bit at the surface of the workpiece involves turning off the controller box with the red button for about 30 sec while I rotate the z-lead screw by hand to just touch the bit to a piece of paper on top of the workpiece. Then I turn the controller box back on. Maybe this isn't enough time; maybe the computer has to be off as well. Who knows?

:twisted: It sure is frustrating to waste time and wood because of unreliable machinery. :evil:

I also sent an inquiry to Tim at NextWave by private email. Perhaps he'll have a suggestion as well.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Nope, I saw that and wasn't completely sure that you had a tool change or did that between the events you were talking about. Specifically, I assumed you had already done your zero task, ran into the failure, and reloaded and tried again. But of course, you had to re-zero as the failure moved the 0,0,0 - and I was a little hasty - sorry.

In any case, I agree that when it occurs it is frustrating - and again, my comments are anecdotal insights - but the two times it happened, and I did that, it "went away". I'm frankly in the habit of not turning it off at all - I run a fair number of jobs so in my case, that isn't as wasteful as it sounds. Your zero process may be uncovering a weakness somewhere along the line - although that is speculation as well.

There is a full time support tech now - you can get the phone number from Rockler - and the email is support@nextwaveautomation.com.