Introduced at IWF today: CNC Shark Pro Plus!

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

recrisp

Re: Introduced at IWF today: CNC Shark Pro Plus!

Post by recrisp »

The comments at the bottom in that review/article didn't look too positive either...
They may be right, you can build a much better machine, IF you know how, I personally don't know, so I have to pay for their expertise, I don't like it, but it's the only way.
Today I saw the Shark (The little one) in person, I am glad I hadn't planned on that one, I know it's kind'a like the Pro, but it's really tiny. :)
I liked it though.
Personally I am about to order a Pro Plus, I just have to be sure.

Randy

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

I would like to get a Shark Plus. I am hoping that Rockler will have some kind of promotion when they are available.
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx

recrisp

Post by recrisp »

I just put a down payment (50% and refundable) on one, I hope I'm doing the right thing, I hope, I hope. :D
(I already have buyer's remorse!)

At the Dallas, Texas store I was told it'd be "around 3 weeks" before they come in to the actual store, they are releasing them on September 13th, (I think?), then on to the stores, or something like that.
Personally, I need to make room for it anyway, my garage is still full of other things, I don't know how that happened... :)

Randy

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

Keep us posted Randy!
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx

recrisp

Post by recrisp »

I will... :)

Randy

spinningwood

Post by spinningwood »

Randy - Once you start cutting with the shark all your purchase fears and regrets will melt away. After you buzz through your first clamp and / or experience some of the other NuB misadventures, some of the fear may return. After a year with the shark I still double and triple check everything before hitting the start button, but I still end up making something different than what I initially planned every now and then. It's all part of the fun.

Good luck with the new machine.

Ed

recrisp

Post by recrisp »

Thanks Ed, that's what I wanted to hear! heheh
I kind'a knew that really, but the fear's there, but I'm sure like you said, it'll be fine.
I'll have some time to adjust anyway with the wait I have for it, so that's good.

Thanks Ed!

Randy

Teir

Post by Teir »

Randy,

I bought my Shark Pro in Jan 2009. Since then...I have worked on it.
I fixed abought half of what they fixed with the plus upgrades.

All in all tho...it has paid for itself. I have worn the brushes on the router out 3 times.
Ordered new brushes...and just chage them when I hear it getting raspy sounding.

I have not had a downtime on the machine related to software or components since I bought it.

It is not the most powerful machine, and anyone can cramp it and make it chatter or shake,
but if you learn the weak points...and program around them...mine has been very reliable.

The pro version is limited to 100 inches a min or so...with the 200 inches a min on the plus..
I would not hesitate to buy it if I was in the market for another. I was at IWF, and asked
about upgrades for us Pro users....and was told that they would be posting news here soon.

Good luck if you decide to buy.

Teir

recrisp

Post by recrisp »

Teir,

If that is all that has happened, that is not bad, it sounds like you have given it a pretty good work-out.

I didn't know that about the brushes, but that is really helpful to know, I'll definitely have to remember and look out for that.
With the 200 IPM, it should be closer to where I'd like it, I don't have patience like some of y'all might, if I ever have to go back on dial-up, I'm doomed. heheh
(Actually, the original little Shark I saw in operation didn't appear to be that slow to me, I mean, yeah, I'd definitely like faster, but it wasn't so bad I wouldn't have gotten it if that is what I wanted)
They're all slower with the stepper motors, but since I haven't used a CNC with anything faster I should not know the difference, or at least, I hope.

The upgrades that I read about, (here I think) are going to be pretty good, mostly I remember the 4th axis add-on that they're supposed to come out with, that'd be a good thing.
I didn't just decide to buy, it's on the way, well, when the rest of 'em are, I'm kind'a excited to see what I can do with it, and WHERE I'll put it. heh

Thanks Teir, I appreciate that information! :)

Randy

jscanlonga

Post by jscanlonga »

Sure would have liked to have known about this. I JUST purchased a Pro and am going through my "initiation" phase. I like the Estop feature and auto turn-off.

Maybe they will offer upgrade feature discounts?????