Laser engraving photos with Piranha FX

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Awe55

Laser engraving photos with Piranha FX

Post by Awe55 »

Hello and Happy New Year to all!

I Bought a Piranha FX with the Laser module for myself as a Christmas present for my self. New to all this CNC stuff so I will need lots of help form you good folks on this board, at the same time I would like to apologize in advance for any stupid questions I might have and incorrect terminologies I might use.....

After playing with the machine for a couple of days, I would like to know how to go about using the laser engraver to engrave photos, something like the Elvis that is featured on the product video by nextwave automation on the FX. By using the V carve desktop and import image/ tracing method, after playing with the adjustments I was not able to achieve a detailed enough image ( a picture of my little girl) to engrave. Upon more research, I understand there is actually an additional software by Vetric called "Photo v carve" Is that something I will need to purchase in order to accomplish what I want to do?

Thanks in advance for all your help!!

basecircle

Re: Laser engraving photos with Piranha FX

Post by basecircle »

Hi Awe well you do need to buy the photo v carve.You can buy it from nwa on there site.Instant download.Use it for lithoplanes.(See tonydudes posts)Now I have pvc and I have Aspire.The latter is very expensive.So I if your going to use it for making your own models ect.ect Aspire is the program to do this.I would roll with pvc.Great program. Basecircle

smorell

Re: Laser engraving photos with Piranha FX

Post by smorell »

I just recently learned how to engrave photos.

1. First you will need to download the Piranha Control Panel - http://nextwaveautomation.com/Downloads ... P_v1.0.exe
2. Connect your computer to the Piranha controller with a USB cable. I really struggled getting anything other than Windows 10 to connect.
3. When the registration screen appears, enter the registration information for both the Piranha and the Laser. Serial numbers are located on the bottoms of each.

Once the laser is registered you will see the menu item Import Images For Next Wave Laser

Choose the image, resize it in the screen and choose the Laser Feed Rate.

Thanks,

Scott