Head/tailstock Alignment

Everything 4th Axis

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

bpastor

Head/tailstock Alignment

Post by bpastor »

Greetings All,

I've just received my 4th axis kit and noticed that the center of the tailstock is 3/16" higher than the center of the head unit. I do a lot of turning and if my lathe tailstock was that far off, my pieces would be ruined. I have sent an email to NextWave but have not had any replies. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bob Pastor

balbritton

Re: Head/tailstock Alignment

Post by balbritton »

Hi Bob,

You may have an older tailstock with a new head unit or vice versa. Would you mind taking a picture of both and posting? We would know right away. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Brandon Albritton
Sales/Engineering - Next Wave Automation

ffloyd

Post by ffloyd »

I had the same problem. A call to the NWCNC help desk and they sent out a new tailstock. The new one appears to be a match with the headstock when both ends have a vBit installed.
Fred
Shark HD520, JTech Laser, 4thAxis
Aspire v11.5

ffloyd

Post by ffloyd »

For folks that need to rotate the foot on the tailstock (as I did)....

The screw on the bottom of the tailstock takes a Torx-27. Support also says that the screw is inserted with LockTite. A little bit of heat with a heat gun allowed me to remove the screw. Just a reminder, a T-25 runs the risk of stripping out. Harbor Freight has a torx screwdriver set for less than $10.00 that includes the Torx-27 screwdriver.
Fred
Shark HD520, JTech Laser, 4thAxis
Aspire v11.5