Problem with running G-code

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Loanshark

Problem with running G-code

Post by Loanshark »

Okay, Newbie to CNC Shark HD5 Extended bed with Water cooled spindle. Have all the hardware set up and I think calibrated correctly. I have used a touch plate to set the router bit tip to the top of my work surface at the center of my piece.

I've created my simple design for a sign using VCarve Pro and everything looks perfect. I output the individual toolpath files to a USB key using the post processor CNCShark-USB 3D Contour (inch).

When I run the files using the USB Key plugged into the pendent, everything starts running however the spindle doesn't lower down into the wood at all? It starts moving around as if it were cutting, but isn't making contact with the wood? I've rechecked the Material Setup in VCarve to assure that I have the thickness set to .75, XY Datum to the Center, Z-Zero to Material Surface, Model Position in Material is "Gap Above Model" = 0, "Rapid Z Gaps above Material" are both .2 inches, "Home/Start Position" are X=0 and Y=0 and finally "Z Gap above material" is .8.

I'm using a "V-Carve/Engraving Toolpath" with cutting depth Start Depth of "0.0" and "Flat Depth" checked and set to .25 inches. Should this be set differently? I'm following a design in a book which is how the author had this setting?

Appreciate any thoughts on what I'm doing well.
Loanshark

tonydude

Re: Problem with running G-code

Post by tonydude »

It would help if you can post the file , so we can look at it

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

Loanshark

Post by Loanshark »

Attached is the address file which is set to run first.
Address.tap
Address.tap
(700.02 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
Loanshark

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

I need the crv file, not the tap file.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

The file you've posted is plenty. The gcode matches what you've said. You probably have the pass depth wrong on your tool.

The g-code expects that you start in the middle of your workpiece. When you hit run, it lifts the tool up 0.2", moves to its first cutting location, then lowers it down to 0.05" below the surface. It proceeds to do the entire first pass at 0.05" depth which, while not quite zero, probably appears closely enough to zero that you're having trouble spotting the difference.

It then does another pass at 0.10", then 0.15", etc., until the final pass at 0.25". So it does reach the maximum depth you've specified, palm trees and all.

I would do three things:
1) Delete the file you've uploaded because it contains your home address in CA.
2) Change the tool settings so the pass depth is something reasonable. For a V-bit, 0.25" is fine to do all at once
3) Preview the toolpath in VCarve/Aspire before you try to run it, which would have shown you this issue to begin with.