Max Feed Rate for HD5

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

SKMoss

Max Feed Rate for HD5

Post by SKMoss »

Mornin' all.

I'm looking for the Shark HD5 max feed rate. Specifically, per suggestion in another post someone suggested looking at the "CNC Cookbook". I'm setting up the HD 5 in the software and it asks for Max Feed Rate. (They don't have an HD5 in their machine library yet.).

Sorry, I'm guessing it's been asked before, but the number of posts that contain "max feed rate", related to tool/material/action, makes it hard to find one that talks specifically about the machine. Also I downloaded the HD5 manual and it's not listed there.

Thanks,
Steve

Bob

Re: Max Feed Rate for HD5

Post by Bob »

Let's keep this easy.
First download a chip load chart. https://www.cutter-shop.com/information ... chart.html
It gives the recommended chip load per tooth for different materials.
Your tool database will show you your chip load based upon flutes, speed, and feed. Adjust your variables until you have the recommended chip load.
chipload.JPG
As always, your results may vary a little depending on your machine. But, at least it's a place to start.
Easy?
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

nicksilva

Post by nicksilva »

SKMoss wrote: I'm looking for the Shark HD5 max feed rate.
Yeah I've always been curious what that is. I'm usually running
plastics at about 150 ipm but I have no idea if it is actually running that speed.

SKMoss

Post by SKMoss »

Bob, thanks for the time to post your reply. Yes, easy, just not addressing my question.

So I took a stop watch to my shop. Using the pendant I can traverse from left to right, or front to back in 10 seconds. Rough math at 25 inches wide, gives a feed rate of 150 imp. More rough math and we're about 35" from corner to corner. Again, 10 second traverse time and we're now at 210 imp.

What I don't know yet is if the processor runs faster, slower or the same while running projects. I'll work on some kind of test tonight and see what I can find.

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Steve,

MANY VARIABLES

A machine may have the capability to travel at 200 inches per minute without cutting anything but it may not be able to travel that fast when cutting a certain type of material due to several other VARIABLES involved in the process.

just to name a few

Machine type ---- plastic, wood, metal, heinz 57 etc....
Material to be machined ---- hard or soft wet(treated) or dry etc....
Material to be machined ---- wood, plastic, aluminum, or other etc....
depth of cut ---- deep or shallow; one pass versus many etc....
Spindle speed ---- fast or slow (burn, dust, chips) etc....
z-axis movement ---- small or large amount of movement etc....
stepover ---- small or large amount of movement etc....
router bit size ---- small or large etc....

and several other variables to consider.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

SKMoss

Post by SKMoss »

Thanks shark cut up.

Actually there’s only one answer to my question. How fast can the machine go, is the question. How fast you can push a bit is a different thing.

I just got word back from Next Wave. Max feed rate for the shark is 200 ipm per Ron at tech support.

CNC Cookbook looks for that number so, as it’s calc’ing the max feed rate for a bit it doesn’t try to exceed the machine capability.

Bob

Post by Bob »

Steve,
I apologize for misunderstanding your question. I'll read more carefully next time.

Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

That 200 ipm is only in a straight line. When doing 3D work or circles you will never acheive that speed no matter what you have the feed rate set in your tool database.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

nicksilva

Post by nicksilva »

SKMoss wrote:Thanks shark cut up.
I just got word back from Next Wave. Max feed rate for the shark is 200 ipm per Ron at tech support.
thank you and NWA. that's the simple answer I've been looking for.