Vcarve tool path removing too much from inside corners

Discussion/questions about software used with your CNC Shark and programming issues

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Thomas.s.

Vcarve tool path removing too much from inside corners

Post by Thomas.s. »

Hello!

Over the past two years I have perfected my 3d carving and finally decided to start working on some v carving for doing inlays on flat surfaces. Thinking to my self this will be cake! I have now ran into an issue which I thought would be an easy fix and cannot seem to find a solution.

I am running aspire 10.5 on a Cnc shark HD5

Setting up just a regular vcarve to a vector file everything runs fine until the inside corners clean up at the end of the path. It takes off about .o3 -.01 too much and ends up distorting what should be strait lines. Thinking it was a bit angle I ran tests with different angles, then I ran more tests and more tests working through almost every thing I could think of.

I have seen a few other posts with this exact problem but never really have seen a solution for it.

I have tried different angles, different clearance passes, tried slowing z down, less depth seems to lessen the effect but it’s still visible . Also tried multiple bits as well as 90 too. It always just slightly bumps it self out everytime it goes to clean an inside corner.

I ran a 60degree bit at .25 flat depth for the Wolf if zoom in you may see the distortion. The Wolf you see looks ok from a distance but I do not think I will ever be able to get a tight fit with a wood inlay. It happens in all corners

The test board you are seeing is my second one and I have already ran about 30 tests prior to that board tinkering with all different settings....so now I’m wondering if there is some type of software issue.

The tool is perfectly square to the bed, and the traming is only off by .005 or so, since it happens in all corners I do not think it could be due for a retram.the I can’t tell what could be causing this.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Tom
Attachments
19EBB0B7-E85D-48A7-81E2-CCCF33BC8DFA.jpeg
96C05392-3B0E-446F-A6F4-043908BC027A.jpeg

Kayvon

Re: Vcarve tool path removing too much from inside corners

Post by Kayvon »

A very small angle variance would have been my first guess. I'm not sure what it would be, otherwise.

Thomas.s.

Post by Thomas.s. »

Got it better but it’s still not perfect. Ripped apart the whole machine cleaned and tightened the Y. I noticed I was able to push it just a hair while it was on.... got a big improvement in triangular shapes.... the square is still a little funny. I tried a few different angles from 58 to 62 with no noticeable difference in squares....unless I need to take it even further. I do have to resurface a spoil board since the new test was directly on the bed.

I will try redoing a new board tomorrow. Still don’t know if it’s good enough to do a wood inlay. I used epoxy on these for now...

Any other ideas please let me know.
Thank you!
Attachments
82EA50E1-CE71-40FD-9D93-0ACB317C3285.jpeg
AA15AE43-5AAC-40CE-A3BB-A2773ACF1F12.jpeg
ECE5DFB5-17B3-4BD8-9F6D-ACC54686683E.jpeg

Flabby40

Post by Flabby40 »

Have you tried making the inside corner .005-.010 larger forcing the cotter to drive around the corner instead of slamming into it causing it to pull ever so slightly into the corner? I had to do this numerous times during my 30 years of production programming.

NathanAu

Post by NathanAu »

Hi Tom,
I am having a similar problem and was wondering if you resolved the problem and if so, what you did to fix it. I am trying to do a wood inlay and am getting very strange deviations in the perimeter of the V-carved pockets, similar to what you show in your pictures.