Struggling with dust collection setup

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

John2015

Struggling with dust collection setup

Post by John2015 »

Hello,

I'm considering buying a CNC Shark SD120. I will be using it in my basement, so I need effective dust collection without an expensive setup. I would prefer to use a vacuum that pulls chips and sawdust right from the tip of my routing bit, instead of building an enclosure and trying to evacuate that enclosure. I've found two products that look promising:

https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-flex ... -4QAvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Loc-Line-80813-S ... 832ad4b4d7

I would like some input about these two products as well as any additional suggestions about other similar products.

Thanks in advance.

SteveM

Re: Struggling with dust collection setup

Post by SteveM »

I would use a Oneida Dust Deputy with a shop vac. It will work just fine for you.
You could either use a 5 gal bucket with a lid or something larger that won't have to be emptied as ofte n.

OCEdesigns

Post by OCEdesigns »

I use the dust deputy and I'm very happy. It collects even the fine dust from my belt sander!
Shark HD4 Extended Bed, Water Cooled Spindle. VCarve Pro 10.5
Maker of many chips

markjonesranger

Post by markjonesranger »

I just bought a Shark about 3 weeks ago. After about 15 projects My shop is getting covered by fine dust and I am using the factory dust collection shoe. Yesterday I started to build a enclosure for it. Using 1" thick Blue foam board as the box. It will fit over the top of the shark it only weighs a few pounds. I have a genair fan that I will use to pull the air out of the enclousure and send it to the dust deputy. I Used fine thread dry wall screws and gorilla glue for foam (must wet both surfaces when you glue it to activate it). It's curing out in the garage now. (It will take 2 weeks to get that glue off of my fingers) (I made a 4 station paint booth using this same design and assembly and it lasted for many years with a bunch of Royal Rangers (church scouts) painting their projects in it. It vented outside.) (Also made a 12 compartment air drying box for Ranger Derby cars using the same stuff and assembly kind of like a easy bake oven for Pinewood Derby and small paint projects...we would have 50 kids building and painting cars sometimes.)
I don't spend a lot of time watching the Shark Cut. I am thinking of putting a buzzer on the router when it shuts off so I will know when to change the next bit.

I am really enjoying this tool. Except for the dust and the loud noise it's fun. I am using head phones and getting caught back up on some old songs but my neighbors and family will appreciate a 20% reduction in noise. I cut out ten round boxes last few days that have self centering lids with our Royal Ranger Emblems carved in them and they boys names carved in them all out of red oak. They came out nice. Gifts for joining our Frontiersman Membership. They can put their flint and steel and char cloth in these.

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Is it possible to add a smoke detector inside the enclosure, or will the dust trigger it constantly? It would be nice to have an indication of fire before everything is melted and the fire is out of control.

Bob

Post by Bob »

"Is it possible to add a smoke detector inside the enclosure, or will the dust trigger it constantly? It would be nice to have an indication of fire before everything is melted and the fire is out of control."
This is a huge topic of concern for me. I have tried several types of detectors in my shop, with no success. Either over-spray from finishing, or dust triggers the alarm. I would like to know what has been tried successfully by others.
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

markjonesranger

A sprinkler system over the top of it would put most any fire out. Best defense is to not leave it unattended for very long. The blue foam box takes a pretty good flame to get it to ignite. A dust collector would most likely take the fire and move it through the dust collection system. Best defense is not to leave it unattended for very long. (yup that keeps rolling through my mind.)

I had a dumpster fire that burnt the roof almost to the ceiling joists the attic insulation kept it from burning the ceiling joists but did take the roof off my house about 10 years ago. I don't ever want to go through that again. We didn't loose any real content but the hassle was 6 months and 5 years of high house insurance

Hope fire never hits a home. I see lots of shops on youtube that are covered in clutter and saw dust. I clean up my shop several times a day most generally after I use each machine.

Keep good insurance!

Mark Jones

markjonesranger

This morning when I went out to the shop. Pulled out the 20x20" furnace filter out of my box fan over head air sweep and then emptied my Super Dusty Deputy 15 gal and my other dust deputy on my shop vac and then pulled the cover on my shop vac to give it clean out. It's been almost a year since I pulled that shop vac out of the shop vac silencer box. It had a fine coating of dust in there but that was it. These dust deputies work so well it's easy to just dump the buckets and barrels and keep on going.

Used the air compressor to blow the dust off of me. I am so thankful I don't have to clean those dust bags or dust collectors and shop vacs but once a year "If I want to".

The fast cap hose reel is a real nice feature on the shop vac. 50 feet of pool hose will almost take me out to the street. For sure every place in the shop. When I pull the 4" hose off to vac up something I really quickly say enough of that fight and reach for the fast cap vac hose it's so much less work pulling that thing around.

Made up some pvc board feather boards out of some cnc reject scraps (rev 1 rev 2 (all my fault and design errors for sure) they look a little rough but they will work fine. That pvc dust is so clingy. I am glad it's all inside the foam box. Makes clean up fast and easy.