Post processor ?

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Mimbler

Post processor ?

Post by Mimbler »

For my Vcarve Pro I see two shark processors: CNCShark-USB 3d Contour and CNC shark-USB Arcs. I did a search on this forum and CNCShark-USB 3d Contour was recommended. Does anyone know what the CNC shark-USB Arcs post processor is for? Just curious,
Mike

TomTurner

Re: Post processor ?

Post by TomTurner »

The major difference between the two post processors is the tolerance or accuracy. The 3D is used mainly for 3D carving. I use my shark for furniture and found that it did not have the needed accuracy for me. The other post processor has improved accuracy and more suitable for V-carving. If needed you can customize the post processor to get accuracy further improvements in accuracy

As you tighten the tolerance and improve the accuracy the impact is that the time for machining goes up. On furniture with long straight runs and mortises that must be cut correctly accuracy is important. On 3D carving reduced accuracy is not apparent.

There are likely many more details such as using different lines versus arcs and acceleration rates that can be impacted but from my perspective as a user interested in the output that is what I have found the differences to be.

Tom

Mimbler

Re: Post processor ?

Post by Mimbler »

Thanks Tom,
Just what I needed to know!
Mike