Engraving with the 7 watt laser

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, sbk, al wolford

Engraving with the 7 watt laser

Postby moneypit » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:45 am

I have just received a request to laser etch a company name on firearms. I have not had a chance to experiment on such a project, but I am wondering if the 7 watt laser is powerful enough for such a task. or maybe a diamond etching tool?

Thank you very much
Edward Siedlecki
Money Pit Woodworking llc.
moneypit

Re: Engraving with the 7 watt laser

Postby Kayvon » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:35 am

On what part of firearms? There's no way you'll engrave metal with a 7W laser, but maybe wood (for the stock or handle).
Kayvon

Postby moneypit » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:56 pm

Its on the metal for a gun dealer. I did not think 7 watt was powerful enough but I though I would ask
moneypit

Postby Kayvon » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:39 pm

A 40W CO2 laser can engrave steel (using a product like Thermark) and mark anodized aluminum. A 90W CO2 laser could engrave without the Thermark. A fiber laser could cut/engrave most metals that you'd throw at it.

The 7W solid state laser is a cool Shark upgrade, but for the money I'd just as soon purchase a CO2 laser, leaving my CNC machine to do what it's good at.

Have you considered engraving with the CNC machine itself?
Kayvon

Postby moneypit » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:23 pm

I am looking at engraving with the cnc also. I have had the HD5 extended bed for about 8 weeks so I am still on the learning curve
moneypit

Postby bill z » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:59 am

Moneypit,

A few years back I did some engraving on a 1911 Cole 45 for a friend. I ordered some 60 degree Dremell steel V router bits and programmed Vcarve to go real slow. As the cuts were being made, I hand dropped cutting oil in the area of the cut. It came out real nice (I did several test on similar material).

It was a challenge bolting the firearm down to a piece of wood so the area was horizontal to the table top. We took the firearm completely apart to accomplish it.

Hope this helps you with your project.
bill z

Return to CNC Shark