What XY location are you using...and WHY?

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, sbk, al wolford

What XY location are you using...and WHY?

Postby NL7U » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:35 pm

Is there any advantage to using the XY setup at a corner rather than at "center mass"? I use center mass, but could be persuaded to change if there is a good enough reason. Thanks....
NL7U

Re: What XY location are you using...and WHY?

Postby sharkcutup » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:13 am

It usually depends on the project. If it is a project where there is little to no carving or few bit changes then the middle/center setup location is used. But if the majority of the carving is removed and/or a lot of bit changes required then a corner setup is much more feasible.

Why? -- this may be more true for the Z-axis than for the xy because the xy is just a matter of a convenience location whereas the Z-Axis would no longer exist once being carved out (as in a pocket for example) thereby a corner would be much more feasible especially when resetting z-axis at bit changes.

Sharkcutup
Shark HD3 Pro Plus Extended Bed with Water-Cooled Spindle
Facebook: hoganscnccrafts.com
sharkcutup

Postby Kayvon » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:59 am

I user a corner start position almost exclusively.

[*]It makes it easy to be sure I'm not wasting material on the sides
[*]It saves me the trouble of finding the absolute center
[*]Unlike the center, it's uncommon to drill into the starting corner, so I can continue to use it for Z offset checks when changing bits

I'm sure there are plenty of good reasons to use the center also, but the corner has always worked well for me.
Kayvon

Postby zeighty » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:39 pm

I use the center almost always. I cannot remember the last time I used a corner.
Some of my work includes pre-made cutting boards with corners that are round. I have also done some work where a custom woodworker customer provided the blanks and there was no waste (no profile cut). I actually messed up his first one and his customer was leaving for the UK the next morning. He was smart and had brought two with him. The second one I used center for x/y and was hooked.
So, I found my work was off a mm or two or 10, as finding the corner was not easy. At least not for me. Finding center is a breeze for me. Even with circles. I use pre-cut circle blanks to make awards for Ultimate Frisbee teams. The last set I did was 32.
I do use a touch plate and can jog my gantry to an area that is still original material thickness to set Z, if necessary. So far I have not had to do this as I have not had a job where at least some lettering was still at original material height.
Bottom line - I use center due to errors I made trying to find the precise placement in a corner.
zeighty

Postby Kayvon » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:47 pm

Zeighty, that makes a lot of sense. If you don't have a good corner (e.g., curved corners) then you have to align X and Y individually on the sides. And if you don't have a side (i.e. a round object) you can't even do that.

You make another good point about not cutting a profile. Every path I run includes a profile cut--I hadn't even considered the possibility of cutting/engraving on something that's already cut, like a blank. That's another great example of when the center point makes more sense, especially if your blank sizes vary at all.
Kayvon

Postby OCEdesigns » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:08 pm

I use the center for about 90% of my projects. It just seems easier for me. I use a corner at times now but mostly center. Finding center is usually pretty easy also.
Shark HD4 Extended Bed, Water Cooled Spindle. VCarve Pro 9.5
OCEdesigns

Return to CNC Shark