Widening the X axis

Questions/answers/discussion about initial setup of your CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jarthur

Widening the X axis

Post by jarthur »

I have the first version of the shark. I like it, but it is a few inches too narrow. I would like to add about 3 inches to the X axis. Anything over 12.5 inches I have to run on my mpcnc instead. I'm mainly working on guitars. I've seen a post on modifications for adding length to the Y axis, but can't find any posts on widening it. Has anyone successfully completed this and care to share details?

Thanks in advance!

Kayvon

Re: Widening the X axis

Post by Kayvon »

Presumably, the Y axis modifications involve replacing the lead screw and metal slides with longer ones, right?

I would think you could do the same with the X axis, but it would involve modifying/replacing the gantry. You'll need a new X lead screw and metal slides. Then you'll need to replace the gantry with a longer one to fit that. Lastly, you'll need to adjust where the gantry connects to the underside, which can probably be accomplished with a spacer and longer screws.

Is it worth the work for a couple more inches? If so, I'm eager to see what you come up with. It could be a fun project.

jarthur

Post by jarthur »

Any idea what the existing lead screw specs are?

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Rando has a good post on lead screw specs here:
https://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4901

jarthur

Post by jarthur »

Cool, thanks! that helps assuming pro and the original have similar specs minus the difference in work area.

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

I would assume so, but I haven't seen the pro in person to verify. Still, I'd be surprised if New Wave decided to make a change requiring sourcing new components (e.g., backlash nuts) when existing stock would easily suffice.