HD 3.0 50" base Purchase questions

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

newcarver

HD 3.0 50" base Purchase questions

Post by newcarver »

I am about ready to purchase the HD 3.0 with 50" base and had a few questions. I plan on doing cabinet door work with the machine.

What is the difference between the HD 2.0 and 3.0 ?

Does the machine have XY limit switches ? IF not is there any plans on doing so ?

Has the HD changes made the machine more rigid or will i still need an aluminum router bracket ?

4DThinker

Re: HD 3.0 50" base Purchase questions

Post by 4DThinker »

I have an HD 2.0, but not a 3.0. Looks like the 3.0 uses interlocking t-track. Definite improvement. It also has an aluminum Gantry backplate. Definite improvement. No limit switches, and I've seen no mention of plans to add them. The control software doesn't do a Home or seem to have any hooks in it for limit switches. I don't think there is even a plug for them on the controller.

I thought I read that they have changed the router mount. Can't tell from photos. The clamp specifically is a point of weakness and eventual failure. Something to ask them about perhaps.

The biggest challenge with large panels is holding them down. You'll bump into this no matter which CNC you buy. The pros use a vacuum table and may add a pressure foot to keep work flat for even cuts. NextWave includes their Virtual Zero software to map the surface and adjust the G-Code to help, Hopefully someone doing cabinet doors on a Shark will chime in here.

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

Homing switches were mentioned by Tim as to be ready 1st quarter of 2012, along with the touch plate (which did arrive).
Since it has been pretty quiet regarding that feature, I am not sure if it is still an active project with them.

newcarver

Post by newcarver »

Thanks for the reply, so far from what i can tell the machines are a pretty good bang for the buck. It also sound like they are trying to address some short falls to improve the machines. That is important to future sales. The homing switches/ limit switches would be a nice addition or offer it as an upgrade package.

From what i understand i can place the work piece on the table any place i wish. I'd touch off the very corner with a sharp v bit and set that as 0. I am guessing the vbit so it's as accurate as possible for xy. I would have to repeat this every time i change a bit in my project. I will use probably 3 bits in most of my projects, one to rough , one to finish and one bit to cut out parts. If i understand this right i would have to zero xy every time i change bits ? I guess i have to rely on eyeballing or marking the corner of the work piece so i can repeat this accurately.

Ryan Richardson

Post by Ryan Richardson »

You shouldn't have to reset XY when changing bits, only Z. While the length of a bit can change, the center point won't.
Ryan Richardson
Brighton, CO USA
http://www.etsy.com/shop/dragonflywoodcrafts

newcarver

Post by newcarver »

I just visited the web site for NWA and it didn't mention in the specs that the machine had virtual zero. I wonder why the smaller HD 24X24 has it but the larger machines don't ?

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

I'd chock that up to an oversight. As far as I know all their new models come with 2.0. I'd be suspicious if their spec said "comes with our new Controller version 1.6". In any case I'd give them all call to verify before ordering.

newcarver

Post by newcarver »

I received an email from NW and they said the 50" HD does not come with virtual zero.

4DThinker

Post by 4DThinker »

It may not be necessary with the long bed, updated engineering of that model. I like it for the preview of cut paths though, and you can always pay the $150 for it down the road. Looks like it was one way to keep the costs down on that model. I don't know if they developed it in house, or commissioned an external programmer to create it. The latter makes more sense given what they charge for it. It may also not work with the expanded table size.

newcarver

Post by newcarver »

My guess was to keep the cost down on that model. It would be nice feature if you had say a slab of bark edge to carve that is not flat. You could still carve if you had virtual zero and be a nice consistent depth of carve.