Shark dead - no jog

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus HD

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

ponderosa_boy

Shark dead - no jog

Post by ponderosa_boy »

After 4+ years of virtually trouble free service, my Pro Plus HD refuses to respond to jog command. I'm using XP, as I have from day one. Removed and reinstalled control panel 1.6, replaced usb cable, checked axis control cables. Then I installed the software on another XP with same results. The control panel software loads as normal, but when I try to jog the unit I get nothing. Where / how do I start to trouble shoot? Thx beforehand.

studio-n

Re: Shark dead - no jog

Post by studio-n »

first thing - is the jog xyz buttons greyed out? If so it is a communication problem with the controller.
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner

ponderosa_boy

Post by ponderosa_boy »

No. They appear as normal.

jimily

Post by jimily »

What can it do? Sounds like a flippant question I know. Are the servo motors on humming when the controller box is turned on? It can't jog, but can you do other regular stuffs like 'set' heights, load taps, detect the touchplate (I don't know if you already have one), or load the last tap-turn off the router and with no wood see if it will start moving the gantry normally that way? See? What can it do still might help narrow to what's broken. At this point if you can load, and start it, if it looks like it is running on the screen, but the gantry is not moving it is the controller box and the assembly for the controller cards might be at fault.

At the moment it sounds more mechanical than software here at first blush since you've done all the software re-installs etc. Did anything at all change between the last time it all worked and when it stopped jogging? (ie was it moved, jarred, vacuumed, blown clean, maintenanced, or anything at all around the controller box?)

And someone who knows better might answer if this is a fuse issue, but I'm not sure what that effects as a thing when it goes out.

I point at the controller box. PC board lifespans can be as short as 1 day to as long as decades. Narrow as much as you can and then holler at NWA support, they seem to be very decent and care if your machine runs or not.

Good luck, this is good troubleshooting experience stuff for people to pick up once it gets fixed, looking forward to whats up with it,

Jim
It is easier to destroy than it is to create, just look at my scrap pile.

2014 Shark Pro Plus HD
Bosch EVS1617 w/ PrecisionBits Collets
Dixie Billet Aluminum Router Clamp Upgrade
Vcarve 8.0, Inkscape on Windows 8; CP 2.1 on WinXP

ponderosa_boy

Post by ponderosa_boy »

I called Rockler early the next morning and was referred to Next Wave. Told tech support guy what I had already done and he immediately thought it a bad port. I boxed up the controller box and shipped. Had it back in 7 days, $35 plus shipping both ways. I'm very satisfied.

jimily

Post by jimily »

Sweet, a nice tidy finish. Hurray for NWA support! :)

Now go have some fun!

Jim
It is easier to destroy than it is to create, just look at my scrap pile.

2014 Shark Pro Plus HD
Bosch EVS1617 w/ PrecisionBits Collets
Dixie Billet Aluminum Router Clamp Upgrade
Vcarve 8.0, Inkscape on Windows 8; CP 2.1 on WinXP