Sign making

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

jdcoving

Sign making

Post by jdcoving »

I currently have a job to make 24 signs. Six different company logos, four each. Approximately 12" X 36". I can either hand carve them or buy a CNC router to do the job. I envision being able to scan the logos into a computer program, adjust them to size and have the router carve them. Will the Shark program allow me to do this? I have yet to purchase a machine and am looking at as many different machines I can find. Any and all feed back will be greatly appreciated. Thanks John C.

sk8nmike

Re: Sign making

Post by sk8nmike »

Signs are the bread and butter of CNC work. The Shark is well suited for what you described and the Vcarve software supplied with it will handle 90% of your sign work..

Doug Mel

Post by Doug Mel »

The largest Sharks(pro plus and pro plus Hd) are limited to cutting 25 x 25 inches,
after that you would have to perform some software magic. That being said
YES the Shark is a very capable machine.
Doug

Eagle55

Post by Eagle55 »

Although "software magic" is probably an accurate term for what needs to be done, don't let that scare you. Its actually a predictable and easily learned form of magic LOL I have done a couple of projects where I learned and performed the "Tiling" process or procedure and it is easy. Echoing the other comments, signs are what the Shark does best. CNC is definitely the way to go over hand carving or template carving. I bought the Rockler sign carving letter template sets in both sizes, then decided to bite the bullet buying the Shark and never did open the boxes of templates. There is so much more that can be done in CNC that is just not possible to do by hand in any reasonable time frame. I wish I had a 24 sign order to start me on my way to paying for the machine :) The software for the machine and its operation is easy to learn and very capable. You may not even have to scan the logos. Much of what is usable can be found online, but scanning and processing on the computer with various programs is possible when all else fails.

Roger
CNC Shark HD ~ Control Panel 2.0 ~ Windows 7 & XP
Located in West Tennessee near the Tennessee River
http://www.eaglecarver4.com

rungemach

Post by rungemach »

If my first project was 24 signs that are all 36 inches long, it would seem likely that there will be more of the same in the future.

A 24 x 24 square format may not be ideal for what you will be doing, and while you can tile the work and carefully reposition it,
in practicality that may not be the best way to go. (always insuring that there is a seamless transition at the tiling line)

I believe you may be able to order a shark with a longer Y axis, and that may be the best long term choice for slight extra money.
I would also highly suggest going with the HD version. (better construction, bigger router capability)

Once you commit to a machine, it is tough (expensive) to go to the next step larger or stronger. A 24 x 48 work surface may be ideal for larger signs, and your initial run would be easily accommodated on that size machine.

Bob

GARYR6

Post by GARYR6 »

To see the software up close go to Vectric.com and down load the trail software (V-Carve) and give it a try. Tons of video leaning.
I can say the shark pro and software paid for my stuff and then some and I am just a hobby player.