Accuracy

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

2Big

Accuracy

Post by 2Big »

I have an issue and I am wondering if anyone else has experienced the same. My shark machine accuracy seems to be right on if I jog to position, but when I run tap programs from V-carve I progressively gain about 1/16" over 16 inches. My project is guitar fretboard- I am drilling holes for the fret markers along at incremental distances. I tried drawing the hole positions in v-carve and i also tried importing the vector image from proge-cad- Both times my spacings accumulatively cut long by about a 1/16 of an inch over 16 " ? I jogged and cut 2 lines at 18 inches apart and they seem to be dead on.

So I am guessing it has to do with the v-carve post processor, I have the latest version just installed last week.

Tom Boston aka: 2Big

Loudspeakerboy

Re: Accuracy

Post by Loudspeakerboy »

Hi Tom..

My fingerboards are done on my shark. I do all of my drawing on my Mac and then export as a DXF file (much faster than trying to slog through drawing with Vcarve). In my "highdesign" drawing settings I go for decimal inches using .0000 resolution. I use the precise bits .023 freting bit. They come out absolutely spot on.. Here is a link to one of my fingerboards.

http://www.cncsharktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1992

Best, M

2Big

Post by 2Big »

Wow, Fingerboards look great, I have been using a .023 power slotting blade and jig, I will try using the precise bits, no binding required. I re-checked my proge-cad dxf file and it looked ok, I reloaded it to v-carve and re-generated the tool path and it was OK this time- I must have dragged the size on my vector file a little long by accident the first time- It looks pretty good now. My 1/4" pocket holes for the fretboard dots are still a little out of round by about .005"- I will spot drill with a 1/4" inch router bit to true them up.

Loudspeakerboy

Post by Loudspeakerboy »

Thanks..

I liked the prospect of not having to bind the fretboard. I'm dying to try a fan-fret.. 27" scale length on the low E and 25.4 on the high.

Do you have the precise bits collet upgrade? If you don't you will. The stock collet will snap your $25, .023 bit in short order.

Cheers, Michael

2Big

Post by 2Big »

Yep , I need to order the precise collets too! I did not snap my cutter but my .023" bit cut a .040" slot ! I busted loose and bought the whole collet set for $87 bucks- Should be well worth it- Otherwise program path, accuracy ect all look pretty good. Thanks for the tip, I should have listened and saved the extra shipping charge..

2Big

Post by 2Big »

Loudspeakerboy,

Have you tried using the mirror image, raised boss inlay technique yet? It does an awsome job- I have attached a picture of my Headplate Logo. It is mother of pearl inlaid in rosewood- Also attached pic of guitar I am currently working on and last guitar. Hope to see some of your work.
Inlay
Inlay
Last guitar
Last guitar
Attachments
Guitar in progress
Guitar in progress