Basic Question: New to this area of workshop

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

sbsmithjax

Basic Question: New to this area of workshop

Post by sbsmithjax »

Greetings,
I'm just considering getting into this area of custom woodworking, and I have a question. Will these CNC machines create complex signage such as this example on ebay: http://r.ebay.com/U0LumC

Further to this, I'm essentially wanting to create stop signs, street signs and speed limit signs for my small neighborhood. Only about 10 signs to make. I think these would need to be at least 2in thickness on the edges, and I'm open to any suggestions on type of wood to hold up in the elements of North Carolina?

Many thanks, be honest, I don't yet know what I'm getting into.

Best,
Stephen
Cary, NC

sk8nmike

Re: Basic Question: New to this area of workshop

Post by sk8nmike »

The Shark is more than capable of making signs like this.

I would suggest expanded PVC, high-density polyurethane or similar man made material. All will carve with the Shark

Buc

Post by Buc »

Stephen,
My suggestion is to look here. http://www.3dsignforum.com/index.php
Buc
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

sbsmithjax

Post by sbsmithjax »

Buc,
Wow, there is some incredible stuff on there. Can someone with this type of experience tell me how difficult it would be for a newbie to do a sign like one of these. Is this something like fine woodwork that takes a few years of technique building to be good at? I have some woodworking experience, and have built myself a respectable wood shop. I am a computer engineer and have a great deal of CAD experience, what's the learning curve, please be frank with me.

Also, I"m not necessarily the greatest detail painter. How do these get painted so nicely??

Many thanks,
Stephen

Buc

Post by Buc »

Stephen,

May I sugggest you go to Vectric.com and download a trial version of V-carve, play around with it and see what you can do. Also preview the tutorials, they are great. Start small and work to big. Having an imagination works well also. My wife is an artist, loves to paint and sew. I show her what I am doing and usually trick her into painting.

Buc
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday