Am I the only one who keeps losing controllers?

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

awdang

Am I the only one who keeps losing controllers?

Post by awdang »

I've had my extended bed shark for only 2 months and I just installed my 3rd controller. The power supply in the 1st one died 3 hours after I started using it. Then today 4 hours into a project, it decided it would no longer provide power to the X motor. getting a little frustrated at this point. They're closed now so I'll have to wait til Monday to call NWA

cjablonski

Re: Am I the only one who keeps losing controllers?

Post by cjablonski »

Quick question. What is the ambient temperature in the area you are working in?
"I'm not smart, I just remain on problems longer"
Albert Einstein

Making many BTU by experimentation. ...some days it gets too warm :)

awdang

Post by awdang »

65-80

sharkcutup

Post by sharkcutup »

Wow!!! So sorry to hear about your controller problems.

It is strange too because I have had my HD3 extended Bed CNC Shark since March of this year with no problems other than my own goofy errors. I run my CNC Shark in an air-conditioned shop with temperatures ranging from 68 - 78 degrees F.

For something that that creates its own heat why is it NWA does not at least put a small fan in the control boxes?? The circuit board inside the control box has contact places for one, why is it not being utilized??? extra COST maybe???

Of course my CNC Shark is not as it was shipped (Example x-axis and z-axis cables together) I have separated them to shield them from each other. Had read on this forum prior to my purchase that some of the consumers of certain CNC Sharks had temperature melt downs of cables at the back of the controller. So I separated my cables as a precautionary measure and to also shield them from each other from any possible electrical interferences. Also made a few small minor stabilizing checks and adjustments to suit my particular workshop needs. It is definitely a great machine for I have created 20+ projects with mine thus far since March!

Sure hope you get your problem resolved!!!

Have a GREAT DAY!!! :D

Be SAFE around those AWESOME machines!!! ;)
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

RSO1411

Post by RSO1411 »

Hmmm, mine just shut down and will not power back up. I came here to see if anyone else was having the same problem or if this site offered an easy fix. I've only had my Shark HD extended bed for about a month, so I was a little surprised. It is Sunday for me also so I will have to wait until tomorrow. As of right now the only thing I can figure is that God did it because I was working on a Sunday. Maybe support will have a different theory.

Jerry

Kevink18

Post by Kevink18 »

there is a fuse just above the power cord plug check there first. I have had my hd for almost 3.5 years never one bit of issues run it in temps of around 100 deg. I do not use dust collection I vacuum up after cut is finished I believe there is no way to eliminate all of the static that a dust collection system creates. Have seen lots of issues with this in the past at work electronics do not like static.

awdang

Post by awdang »

Don't know if you've sought help yet Jerry but my first controller lost did the same thing. If you haven't already and you are good with a meter. first verify the ac power into the supply then the dc on the output side. mine had 110 in and nothing out. also look at the green led on the power supply. mine was flashing and tech support confirmed that meant it went bad. Now I just got to figure out why I lost another with totally different symptoms
Kevink18 a static issue is a possibily i'm looking into however , my dust collection wasn't up and running when I lost the first controller

adam78

Post by adam78 »

I also have a controller problem. I installed a firmware update on my Shark HD3 (extended bed). Now the controller will not connect to the computer. When a successful connection occurs I immediately receive a message stating that the USB device has failed. I hear one of the stepper motors cycling on and off but the router does not move. The blue, amber, and red lights on the front of the controller also turn off. If I leave the USB plugged in for a period of time the computer periodically indicates that a USB device is plugged in and then unplugged. I need help fixing this issue as all the help files indicate that I have to connect to the computer which is not possible.

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Have you tried a different usb port? The one you are connected to might be bad, so switch ports.

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

awdang

Post by awdang »

my experience thus far has been frustrating. I also have/had connection problems. on 3rd controller for different issues, such as x axis motor stopped working, then the z axis. then the z motor was too hot to even touch and making strange noises when sitting idle, etc. but I'm happy and optimistic it is all behind me (fingers crossed). I took some time to dig deeper a couple of nights ago and I believe I had 2 separate issues within the controller. Heat and voltage. my motors were failing due to components on the driver board overheating as they would work after cooling back down. To resolve this, I installed a fan in the controller. then while adjusting the voltage on the 24 volt power supply, I found that anything under 23.5 volts the z-motor would make the noises and anything over 24.5 volts and the software would NEVER connect. after much tuning, I found a sweet spot at 23.9 volts. At this voltage, I connect on the very first try, the Z motor doesn't make noise and no longer get hot. It's only been a couple days but its the best its run in the 2 1/2 months I've had it... an avenue to explore.

Ron