Paint Bleed

Anything and everything CNC-Shark-related

Moderators: ddw, al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

BLM Enterprise

Paint Bleed

Post by BLM Enterprise »

I am using vinyl Mask on my wood then carving thru the mask and then painting the letters. But I am getting bleeding. See attached pic. How can I avoid this? Thank you!
Attachments
image.jpg

tonydude

Re: Paint Bleed

Post by tonydude »

You have to put 2 coats of finish on before you put on masking, than do your carving, than paint or do what I use spray ink which dries quick.

tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

BLM Enterprise

Post by BLM Enterprise »

Tony. Thank you very much for the info. If I stain first then do what your saying will that work? Or do I need a clear coat on it also? Thank you.

BLM Enterprise

Post by BLM Enterprise »

Tony, I have heard great things about the Spray Ink. However I am in a area I cannot spray. Would flat black primer or paint work well? Thanks

gordread

Post by gordread »

There have been several posts on this type of thing in the past, there are definitely several techniques.

The one that I use, that I have the most success with, on any type of wood. Is to clear coat the board before v-carving. If I'm going to stain it, I do it before clear coating (it may be obvious, but just in case...)

The do the cut.

Then I clear coat again. This will of course only go into the carved areas, as the paint mask/vinyl is still in place. I do this because I have found with some types of wood (pine and cedar are the worst) is that the paint will bleed under the clear coat/vinyl because the endgrain of the wood will absorb it. The extra clear coat in the carved lettering prevents this form happening.

Then I spray the black (I just use a black spray can from Canadian Tire/walmart, nothing special).

Hope this helps.

Gordon

BLM Enterprise

Post by BLM Enterprise »

Gordon thank you very much. Does anyone have experience on using a belt sander to get rid of bleeding? If I want my letters to be painted but wood bare wood if I sanded would the bleeding sand out? Or is bleeding too deep into wood? Thanks

geraldjohs

Post by geraldjohs »

It won't sand out. It's to deep.

cjablonski

Post by cjablonski »

Unfortunately the prior post is correct. The "bleed" is due to wood being fibrous, and that "bleed" is actually the paint/ink wicking in the fibers. The greater size of the fibers, the greater the bleed, as some materials are worse than others ( EX- pine vs red oak ). Prior posters are also correct with ways to help prevent it. By adding a clear coat you essentially "seal" the end fibers off preventing wicking. A belt sander will remove it but will also remove any work you've done, so, point is moot :)
"I'm not smart, I just remain on problems longer"
Albert Einstein

Making many BTU by experimentation. ...some days it gets too warm :)

BLM Enterprise

Post by BLM Enterprise »

Thanks everyone for the helpful info. Does anyone recommend a certain sealer?

Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Another option is to use a thicker paint that won't be drawn into the grain so easily. I use a V-bit to v-carve the message then paint in the engraving by hand. If you mask it with masking tape or, as you said, vinyl mask then you won't have to be so careful with the painting. Any paint mistakes are easily erased with a quick, light sanding.