Acryllic table inset

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

REG

Acryllic table inset

Post by REG »

An inset for a patio table. The panel is a 21" X 48.5" X .375" UV stabilzed smoke acryllic. The entire carve was done with a 90 degree X .50" bit. Kept the cutter around 7000 rpm; feed at 75 ipm, plunge at 15 ipm.
The carve will be faced down giving a opaque/etched image of the carve from the top side.
Table top underside
Table top underside
Attachments
Table topside
Table topside

wolffie

Re: Acryllic table inset

Post by wolffie »

I LIKE :D
Wolffie
I am never going to die, I live in Paradise already

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Great idea. Like it. 8-)

Tony
Buffalo,NY

"What will matter is not what you bought but what you built; not what you got, but what you gave”

Aspire 11.015, photo vcarve, cnc mako shark extended bed with the new upgraded HD 5 gantry with Led pendent.

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

Looks great! Getting ready to do some acrylic 3D carvings myself shortly. the acrylic stock was delivered day before yesterday, so can't wait to play!
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

hdtheater

Post by hdtheater »

That looks great! Thanks for the bit setting info. Did you have to do a lot of cleanup afterward? How easy did it machine for y9ou?

I cleaned out dome scrap the other day and found a sheet of acrylic. Now I need to find a use for it.

-Eric
Thanks,

-Eric

Facebook.com/inspireddesignstx

REG

Post by REG »

hdtheater wrote:That looks great! Thanks for the bit setting info. Did you have to do a lot of cleanup afterward? How easy did it machine for y9ou?

I cleaned out dome scrap the other day and found a sheet of acrylic. Now I need to find a use for it.

-Eric
Yes, there was a lot of cleanup. Acrylic shavings love to "cling". Every surface from the Shark to the hose and canister of the shop vac had acrylic shavings. I have the luxury of moving my Shark to outside but problem is, acrylic doesn't decompose or wash away like wood shavings so I vacuum as best I can.

If you have a good sharp bit and keep the travel adjusted to under 75 ipm it machines well without overloading the router. I did find that the 75 ipm is perfect for a line cut to about 1/8' depth. Any deeper causes some chatter on the bit so the deep carves on the fleur de lis I would slow down travel to about 50 ipm. using FRO on the controller.

I suggest testing on a scrap of the same acrylic with the bit you intend to use. Acrylics tend to behave differently in the thickness and type (cast or extruded) and density.

Bobby