I finally did it

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

wolffie

I finally did it

Post by wolffie »

Got the HD working that it.
I made a plaque for the Shark Tank
TankPlaque.png
Only problem now is that everything I make comes out quarter size :cry:
Doesn't matter whether I use inches or millimetres, I get the same result.
The control panel tells me the router is 10" above the table but it is only 2.5".
Same thing when I jog the gantry away from 0.0.0.
It takes 4 times as many moves as it should.
I have to enlarge the project 4 times to get it to the size I want.
I am DEFINITELY jinxed :(
Anybody have any ideas?
Wolffie
I am never going to die, I live in Paradise already

4DThinker

Re: I finally did it

Post by 4DThinker »

The sign looks great, Wolffie. Not sure how you're getting the 1/4 scale problem though. Doesn't happen to me unless I want a 1/4 scale version of my project.

There is a dimension/ruler tool of some sort in Vcarve. I'd use it to verify that at least VCarve has your drawing at the right scale. The middle step might be where the error comes in, as when you save a toolfile to a .TAP file the software is doing some math to convert the drawing dimensions into CNC units. If the wrong post-processor is being used, or the one you are using has the wrong scale value in it, that could lead to 1/4 scale output.

Does the controller software jog properly (at the right scale) before you've loaded a file? I'll bet there is an INI file somewhere that tells the apps how to scale for the Shark. Wouldn't have a clue how one got changed, but the solution has to be in there somewhere. Hope that helps.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

I'm not sure I follow your observations about the position of the router - but the quarter size outcome is a sign that you used the wrong post processor.

If your VCarve project is using metric units, then use the metric unit Shark post processor (and vice versa). If you get the same result after checking this, post your project or one that does the 'same thing' and a screen grab showing the post processor selected in VCarve when you generated the tap file.

wolffie

Post by wolffie »

I am using Aspire.
My PP is CNCShark-USB_NewArcs-mm.pp version 1.5.0.23
SharkPP.png
Wolffie'sSharkTankPlus.rar
(306.26 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
Ok, regarding the router:
I place it at XYZ0
Move it in either direction
eg x is, according to the processor moved 12" but in reality it is only moved about 4"
I set the step to 1.00 the router moves 1" but the processor tells me I have moved it 4.6"(for ease of explaining I have used " instead of mm)
I have no idea what is going on here.
Cheers
Wolffie

BTW When I was using the older model box that I had on loan, using the same pp it didn't happen. It is only since I got my own box back.
CarbaTec spoke with Tim about it but I have not had any suggestions re how to fix it.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

At face value, defective Control Box. Carbotec may have given you one they had on the shelf from another support case, or your just lucky and got another bad box.

One last thing comes to mind, but not sure if it would matter - when you got the 'new' control box, did you update the firmware? If not, I'd try that. Otherwise, back to Carbotec for a replacement - still under warranty.

wolffie

Post by wolffie »

jeb2cav wrote:At face value, defective Control Box. Carbotec may have given you one they had on the shelf from another support case, or your just lucky and got another bad box.

One last thing comes to mind, but not sure if it would matter - when you got the 'new' control box, did you update the firmware? If not, I'd try that. Otherwise, back to Carbotec for a replacement - still under warranty.
It is still my own box, CarbaTec replaced the parts they had shipped from CWA.
CarbaTec did not have any spares for the HD until they received them from CWA.
No problem with the warranty, CarbaTec will date it from the time I finally got the thing working :)
Seems like people have a lot of trouble with the new pp update from Vectric :(
I will try the firmware update, hopefully that helps.
Cheers
Wolffie

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

The reason I asked about what post processor you had selected is that if a carving is 'out of scale' from what is expected, that is typically the reason.

I don't know what you're referring to with regard to "seems like people have a lot of trouble with the new pp update from Vectric.'

Vectric doesn't supply post processor updates for any CNC machine - respective vendors provide those. In the case of the Shark, NWA released new post processor back on 13 Jan 12. I've not seen any problems with using these myself, and don't recall reading about that on the forum.

If you're referring to the latest Shark Control Panel software and 'seems like people have a lot of trouble' - I've read some posts where users seem to attribute the problem to the 'new' Control Panel software from NWA (1.5.0.23c). All I can say is that I'm not experiencing that, and I don't know that the number of reported issues here on the forum is any higher than I've seen for the other 5 Control Panel updates I've been around for since I purchased a Shark.

The firmware update is a shot in the dark for an idea - but worth trying before you start the phone calls again...

wolffie

Post by wolffie »

jeb2cav wrote:I don't know what you're referring to with regard to "seems like people have a lot of trouble with the new pp update from Vectric.'

Vectric doesn't supply post processor updates for any CNC machine - respective vendors provide those. In the case of the Shark, NWA released new post processor back on 13 Jan 12. I've not seen any problems with using these myself, and don't recall reading about that on the forum.

The firmware update is a shot in the dark for an idea - but worth trying before you start the phone calls again...
My mistake, I, like quite a few other people, believed all software was written by Vectric.
My apologies to Vectric.
I updated the firmware and it made no difference.
I believe most complaint about the new update is, that people can't download it and they cannot see any difference between the 2.
I, for one, like the new part of jogging, where one can set the increments, very good improvement for accuracy, 0.1 of a millimetre is very nice to be able to do.
Here is a couple of shots to show what I am talking about
What the screen shows
What the screen shows
Actual measurement
Actual measurement
2 more shots to come
Wolffie

wolffie

Post by wolffie »

jeb2cav wrote: The firmware update is a shot in the dark for an idea - but worth trying before you start the phone calls again...
Joe

I sure hope I didn't misunderstand what you were saying here??

Fortunately I have a very good working relationship with CarbaTec and can call any time I wish within working hours.

After dealing with them for about 10 years, they are very well aware that I am not a PITA.

However,when I spend thousands on machinery, then I expect it to work as intended.

No point in posting the other 2 screenshots.

Wolffie