Engraved Lighter - Owls are cool

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

studio-n

Engraved Lighter - Owls are cool

Post by studio-n »

This is a really inexpensive lighter which I engraved using the diamond drag bit. 0.05" depth.
It really makes a cheap lighter better. I'll be interested to see how it oxidizes over time.
Sorry it's not a perfect picture but it's difficult to get good pictures of shiny metal from a phone. :?
Cheers!
photo-1.JPG
"Out of my mind.....back in 5 minutes"
Rockler 60th Anniversary CNC Shark
w/digital probe, and 4th axis attachment.
ULS M300 Laser Engraver 50 Watt
Aspire and Corel Draw
NextEngine 2020i 3D scanner

EdThorne

Re: Engraved Lighter - Owls are cool

Post by EdThorne »

Wow, thank is terrific. I'd like to know about oxidation if you provide an update.

studio-n

Post by studio-n »

EdThorne wrote:Wow, thank is terrific. I'd like to know about oxidation if you provide an update.
well so far on a butterfly design I did several months ago on a similar lighter - looks as good as when I first did it.
However, it has just been sitting in a drawer with no one handling it, so no acids from the hands.
Same is true for a brass colored one with diamond patterns.
Cheers!
Aspire and Corel Draw

basecircle

Post by basecircle »

I like your engraving of the owl.You did a great job on a cheap lighter.Nothing is cheap any more.I ment to tell you two days ago .Good job. Basecircle

studio-n

Post by studio-n »

basecircle wrote:I like your engraving of the owl.You did a great job on a cheap lighter.Nothing is cheap any more.I ment to tell you two days ago .Good job. Basecircle
thank you.
Finding inexpensive items to work on certainly helps me hone my skills with the software. I always keep an eye out for wholesale lots of these on ebay. I've had some good luck,
but it's been pretty dry lately.
Aspire and Corel Draw

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

I am hoping that I can get some suggestions. I just ordered a diamond drag bit from WidgetWorks. I am not sure how to do the initial setup. They include a couple of different springs. I assume the lighter spring is for acrylic and the heaver spring for aluminum, steel, etc. I believe that the spring allows for about 8mm of vertical movement. So, I manually set Z0 at the top of the work-piece. I want the spring to allow for variations in flatness of the work-piece. So do I set the depth of the cut to 1 or 2mm to allow it to adjust for this or is there a better way to handle this?
Ed

studio-n

Post by studio-n »

EdThorne wrote:I am hoping that I can get some suggestions. I just ordered a diamond drag bit from WidgetWorks. I am not sure how to do the initial setup. They include a couple of different springs. I assume the lighter spring is for acrylic and the heaver spring for aluminum, steel, etc. I believe that the spring allows for about 8mm of vertical movement. So, I manually set Z0 at the top of the work-piece. I want the spring to allow for variations in flatness of the work-piece. So do I set the depth of the cut to 1 or 2mm to allow it to adjust for this or is there a better way to handle this?
Ed
Hello. Well I have the WW drag bit. No real instructions came with it. I'm using the spring which was installed which I think was the heavy one. I set the Z0 at the top using a piece of paper as the measure then add 0.001 inch lower Z.
I set the depth in Aspire to 0.05" and let 'r rip. This is working in Aluminum and Steel which is all I'm working in right now.
Cheers!
Aspire and Corel Draw

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Thank you very much for the information. I'm looking forward to trying this out.
Ed

Keith Hodges

Post by Keith Hodges »

That's what I did, just as it came, with one exception. I ordered a 90 degree tip for finer lines. It came with a 120 degree tip. Didn't try the 120, so not sure how much difference it made. Also, I'm using the quick engrave tool path program to set it all up.
Being retired is hard work. Spending way too much time in the shop these days. (And loving it).
Shark Pro Plus HD, Vcarve Pro, Photo V Carve, Cut 3D, scan probe.

EdThorne

Post by EdThorne »

Thank you. I didn't buy the 90 degree tip, yet. I did get an extra 120 as I figure that I will wreck one while experimenting. :-)