Aztec calender HDPE

Browse around for inspiration, or share your work to inspire others!

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

Wolf

Aztec calender HDPE

Post by Wolf »

hello Here is a plaque (Aztec calender) that I just carved last night. The picture was taken with a light behind the plaque. It was made from HDPE 1/4" thick and is 16" dia. now I need to fabricate a box with a light inside to show it off. I will post later a finished photo.
Joe Wolf
Attachments
0306110907.jpg
Thank you,
Joe Wolf
Dublin, California

Bob

Re: Aztec calender HDPE

Post by Bob »

Joe,
Nice work!
I like the idea with the backlighting. It will be interesting to see your finished project.
Can you locate important dates on it yet? Like your birthday and stuff?

How did you develop the pattern?
Bob
"Focus"
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek (Developer of the microscope.)

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Thank you Bob, here is a site that has an Aztec and or table top down load. It is from the Vectric forum... http://www.vectric.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ilit=aztec
How to read the dates? I was told that the calender only goes to 21Dec2012.....that is pretty big I think. We have calenders ond ours only are good for a year and a half.
This forum will be big and full of files to down load, for all of us to try, modify and or add to an existing project.
Joe Wolf
Thank you,
Joe Wolf
Dublin, California

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Does anyone know what type of glue or epoxy can be used to glue the HDPE together? Otherwise I my have to drill and tap the parts and use screws, and that doesn't look as pleasing or professional to me. Any advice would be appriciated.
Is there any type of paint that will stick to the stuff? I know that it was made to not have anything stick to it, that is why it is used for cutting boards.
Joe
Thank you,
Joe Wolf
Dublin, California

Bob

Post by Bob »

Joe,
I don't see any glue that's reliable for HDPE.
How about mounting it as you would a sheet of glass?
Go to a professional paint supplier with your painting question. I have never painted plastic, but see it everywhere. So a professional would know. I did a search and found plenty of ideas for painting, but if I were doing this, I would go to my supplier for information and materials.
Bob
"Focus"

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Thanks for replys, the supplier had a two part epoxy and instructions on u tube and said he tried it and found that it wasn't 100% strong. Then I will go to the mount like a piece of glass way this weekend, I did order the LED rope light for the back lighting, in a 2 meter length @ $8.00 per meter and a 110 volt addapter W/plug to house hold for $5.00 here in Oakland Ca. It is called Fun house productions, www.coolneon.com That seemed pretty inexspensive to me for a plug and play item @ $ 21.00 total. My son just brought it home and we plugged it in and it is bright enough, the led's do emit light in only one direction, so I will have to mount the rope so that all of the led's are facing the back of the calender
Joe
Thank you,
Joe Wolf
Dublin, California

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Here is a pic of the calender mounted......the frame is not painted yet.....trying to talk my wife into painting it for me:)
Attachments
0313111944.jpg
Thank you,
Joe Wolf
Dublin, California

Bob

Post by Bob »

Joe,
Nice choice of design for the frame too!
I'm enjoying watching the evolution of this project.
How did you end up attaching it to the frame?
Bob
"Focus"

Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Hi Bob
5mm ply back and front sandwiching a frame of 3/4" X 2-1/2" in the pyrmid shape. The front layer has a 15-3/4 hole, then a layer of 1/4" masonite (used as a spacer) with a 16-1/4 hole the same dia. of the calender. frame and front were nailed and the back screwed on to get to the lighting....Then a face cover that is a bit larger w/ 15-3/4" hole and all the stone/brick v carved in and it is glued on to the lighted box.
Joe
Thank you,
Joe Wolf
Dublin, California

rsperkins

Post by rsperkins »

Nice project!

I'm a newbie, so I've got lots of questions, if you don't mind. The 1/4" HDPE is pretty thin, what was your max depth of cut? Also, what type of end mill did you use, and what was the speed/feed rate? Did you have any problems with melting of the material? About how long did the project take? Have you tried using other resins or acrylics with the shark? Hope you'll show more projects in the future.

Thanks so much!