Using the Scan Probe

How-to videos on the CNC Shark

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

CountryWoodCrafts

Re: Using the Scan Probe

Post by CountryWoodCrafts »

Nice video . . . I will have to order a probe soon.

Topher

Post by Topher »

Very interesting. Does the probe have limits on how steep a gradient it can climb? Are there limits on how high it can climb? I assume it will get stuck if it hits a vertical wall. Is that so?

Consultingwoodworker

Post by Consultingwoodworker »

Topher,

I created the video on using the probe.

The probe can actually climb up a vertical face quite easily. Keep in mind that using a pencil point bit cannot create a true vertical surface, there will always be a slight angle based on the angle of the bit itself.
As far as the overall working depth, it would be the Z stroke of your machine minus the length of the probe which is about 2 1/2".

Ralph

BobA

Post by BobA »

Ralph I went to your website. Did you do the deer scene carving? You must have Aspire now. Great sign. You helped me a lot when I first got my CNC. I do not see you posting on the forum much anymore. Glad to see you still out there.

Bob

Consultingwoodworker

Bob,

No deer scene carving on my website, and I'm pretty sure I've not done one! Who's website did you visit? LOL

Ralph

BobA

Post by BobA »

Ralph,

It has been a few days. As I remember I clicked on Consultingwoodworker and then http://www.facebook.com/country.wood.cr ... .furniture on the page that came up.
I guess I thaought that was your facebook site. Sorry about that. I am glad you are still out there anyway. I am down here in Manchester about 30 miles from Murfreesboro. Since I got my Shark Pro Plus I now have a Mako and now we have 3 Sharks in our Woodworking Club and another member has a Laguna CNC.

Hellomartin2

Post by Hellomartin2 »

Hello every one first let me say I am a new cnc user my cnc will be shipped out by user (cnc is fun) on Thursday brand new Shark pro HD for $3200 with the router included so I will get it next week I am wanting the scan probe but have a ? or two (1st) what format will it save the scan files into can I say scan something on my new Shark then send it to my cheap Chinese cutter witch uses mach3 while I do other work on my Shark. and (2nd) if I say probe or scan an object 1 in tall can I resize it to 3 in tall or the other way around ?.... Thank you Martin :ugeek:

Consultingwoodworker

Martin,

The scan will be saved as an ".stl" file. The .stl file is a 3D model in the computer. You can scale it up or down in all or any axes.

VCarve does not handle 3D programming but Vectric's Cut 3D program can turn the 3D file into a g-code for the machine. I'm not sure if Mach 3 does or not, but Vectric can tell you if it can output to your machine.

Ralph

donny2tics

Post by donny2tics »

The video doesn't say anything about where to set 0,0,0, before the scan. Do you set it on a corner? At table level?