Coeur'Amour box Question

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

misterx

Coeur'Amour box Question

Post by misterx »

Hi, I tryed to make this box awile ago and had problems with the holes. I am sending pictures of my settings for my tool and my toolpath. I am also sending pictures of what happened when I ran it using hard maple. Are my settings ok in both my toolpath and tool settings? I found out some time later that I had a bad collet on the router,(I unscrewed it to take it off and the four holding pieces of steal that hold the bits fell right out of the collet) I think that might of been the problem, that the collet wasn't holding the bit tight enough and the bit was slipping out when the router was comming up. now I want to try it again but don't want to screw up another good piece of wood. I now have a different collet from a spare boush colt I had in it. One more question about tool settings. Is the stepover setting in the cutting parameters the distance that the bit goes over the piece of wood your working on, like after drilling the first hole it comes up and goes to the place for the next hole, and if so is the higher the number that is in there the higher it will go over the piece of wood? P.S. I wasn't able to show a picture of my tool settings so here thay are. I am using a up-cut .25 bit, pass depth is 0.125, stepover is 0.1 inches at 40.0%, spindle speed is 12000, feed rate is 100.0, plunge rate is 30.0 Thanks Tim
Attachments
036.JPG
037.JPG
TimS TEST HEART Light Components settings.crv
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 278 times

Buc

Re: Coeur'Amour box Question

Post by Buc »

'X'
Couple things to try. From looking at your CRV file. Instead of 'Profiling' your tool path to drill the .250" holes, calculate the tool paths to create drilling tool paths. I would set the "FRO" on the shark control panel to 50%. Your feed rates at 100 IPM and plundge ar 30 IMP are too agressive for hard maple. The FRO set at 50% will now make your feedrate at 50 IMP and plundge at 15 IPM. Yes you can use an end mill to drill holes. Also click to peck drill the holes. It will help keep the chips from jamming in the holes.

Stepover will come into use when you pocket the materiaI. I set that to about 20% or lower. Depends on how smooth you want the bottom face in the pocket.
12,000 RPM's shold be OK.

Made this project. Another hint. Grind a starter point (small chamfer) on one end of the dowels. Assembles a lot easier. Hope this helped you.

Buc
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

misterx

Post by misterx »

Thanks Buc, I will try what you requested probable today seeing I am wating for a glue up now.

misterx

Post by misterx »

Hi Buc, I changed my settings to feed rate 50.0 and plunge rate to 15.0. Well I used a 1/4"up-cut bit in a test piece of wood to check it with my dowels and the hole was to big, so I used a straight bit and it made an oblong hole the whole router went forward. Do they make a drilling bit just for drilling 1/4" holes in wood, I found some for plastic but not for wood? I will try and send this video I made of the the straight bit. I drilled a hole with my drill and with a brad tip regular drill and the hole is perfect. Can you slow down the router enough to use a regular drill bit? I would really like to find a drilling bit for a router. Thanks Tim p.s. It says the extension mov is not allowed,I took the movie with my IPad.