Error Code

Discussion about the CNC Shark Pro Plus

Moderators: al wolford, sbk, Bob, Kayvon

misterx

Error Code

Post by misterx »

Hi, I am getting a error code that says ERROR: No toolpath generated for current parameters. Check tool can fit into selected vectors at matching depth. I used this file to cut yesterday with a biger piece of material and cut out three pieces. I was so happy,( my first cut) but when I measured them there the wrong size so I made a couple of changes in AutoCAD and now I am tring to cut one piece out of a smaller piece. I an incliding the file. Is there a way to see where or to find where an open vector is in either VCarve or AutoCAD? Thanks Tim
Attachments
FINAL SIDE PART 7-23-11.crv
(9.5 KiB) Downloaded 339 times

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Re: Error Code

Post by jeb2cav »

Hi Tim,

I've seen a lot of odd things with Autocad files - and unfortunately it has nothing to do with how VCarve (or other Vectric tools) import the file. It is the nature of autocad. Usually what I've seen are open vectors - ie a polygon shape that isn't quite joined. For example a simple square may appear to be a square when zoomed out. But, when you zoom in, you'll find 2 vertices that aren't overlapping - so the square is open. If the vertices are close enough, the toolpath will be generated, but you may see some unexpected "roughness" or "deviation" in the direction of the cut where these conditions exist.

So, Vectric has provided a tool that will fix this up for you automatically as again, it is not unusual with dxf/dwg files. However, in this particular case you have a line segment that overlaps another. The toolpath planner can't determine how to handle this, and that's why you get the error and failure to generate a toolpath.

I opened up your project - thanks for sharing by the way as it made it easy to duplicate and then kick around to see if I could help - and when I selected the vector, I noticed a slight visual anomaly where the dotted lines are "thicker".
1_Vector View - Visual Clue.jpg
Visual Clue
(4.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I then entered into a node editing mode - right click and select Node Edit Mode, or hit the "N" key.
2_Vertex View after Visual Clue.jpg
Node View
(2.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I then grabbed the two vertices where the visual anomaly was present and moved them just to see if there was something underneath - and sure enough, there is a segment overlapping another segment.
3_Vertex View after Moving Vertices - Overlapping Segment.jpg
Moved the Vertices to See
(5.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet
So now, I'll go to the next post as there's a 3 attachment limit to the forum per post.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Continuing the saga -

Hitting control z, I'm able to put the vertices I moved "back". I then deleted the vertex highlighted in the next picture.
4_Delete This Vertex.jpg
Delete this Vertex
(3.78 KiB) Not downloaded yet
A visual inspection afterward shows this -
5_Visual Inspection After Deleting Vertex.jpg
Visual Inspection After Vertex Deletion
(4.18 KiB) Not downloaded yet
And a toolpath is successfully generated with this vector now.

The alternate method, but really not as appropriate for this case - but will work - is to use the Join Open Vectors Tool.
Join Open Vectors Tool
Join Open Vectors Tool
Reached the 3 attachment limit - onto the next post.

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

Continuing now using the Join Vector Tool -

Select the vector to join or inspect, and click on the Join Vector Tool - when the Tool opens, it looks like this -
Join Vector Tool UI - Vector Open
Join Vector Tool UI - Vector Open
Note that right now the tool indicates the vector will remain open at the current tolerance. As we now know, in this case the distance to the vertices that would enable closure are a few inches away. Using this tool with such a large tolerance may result in undesirable results. In this case, the result will be acceptable as the join will occur along a line - and not change the desired "shape" of the vector.

So, I cranked up the tolerance to 4, and sure enough now the UI indicates that with that tolerance the selected vector, which is open, will be closed if I hit the join button.
Join Vector Tool UI - Tolerance Enables Closed Vector
Join Vector Tool UI - Tolerance Enables Closed Vector
A visual inspection of the vector shows that the anomaly is no longer present -
9_After Closing.jpg
Visual Inspection after Join
(6.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
One more post to complete this...

jeb2cav
Site Admin

Post by jeb2cav »

There is one difference in this case in the 2 approaches - with the Join Vertex you end up with an additional vertex along the line. While it may not cause any poor outcome, you may not desire this. Again, in this case, it is the result of the nature of this condition - line segment overlap - and again, I wouldn't necessarily use the Join Vector tool for this case. I did decide to share what I know about the tool for use with autocad files.

So - the a vertex view of the vector after using the Join Vertex tool -
10_Vertex View after Joining.jpg
Vertex View of Vector after Join Vector Tool Use
(5.37 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Circling back to the first method of how to remove this - after deleting the vertex (to remove the overlapping line segment), I now select the vector and run the Join Vectors Tool. We now find that the selected vector is closed, and there is nothing for the tool to do.
Join Vector UI after Vertex Deletion
Join Vector UI after Vertex Deletion
Now - for what it's worth, with autocad data you may actually need to run the Join Vector tool after removing a vertex or 2 to get rid of overlapping line segments as the remaining vertices may not be in the exact same spot.

A lengthy discourse - hope this gives you a better sense of what is going on, and how to address it. It's also too dang hot outside to be doing much of anything else...

misterx

Post by misterx »

Thank you so much for the info jeb2cav. This VCarve is all new to me, but I just learned a lot thanks to the in-depth explanations. I really appreciate it. Thanks again Tim

Buc

Post by Buc »

Joe,
Excellant job on the tutorial......

Buc
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Thomas A. Edison

The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

tonydude

Post by tonydude »

Joe,

Great job on all the tutorials you do on this site. You have great knowledge on all your articles.

Tony